Saturday, August 02, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggety jig

We are home again, after our wonderful trip through California's wine country and up into the Redwoods. I hadn't been home in over 6 years, so this was long overdue and very much anticipated.

It is very hard to live without all this, even though I love Los Angeles.

Trinidad grey rock rock plus woman Trinidad mist detail

I probably do not want to eat again for another week. I think I'll spend the next month fasting.

bovolo summer pizza Los Bagels and fish Ramones Babetta's marsala

There are some amazing places to eat up in that area and we hit a lot of them while we were there!!

One really amazing thing about the North Coast this time of year is that there are flowers blooming all over. It's a coastal area, gets a lot of rain and fog, and so the flowers are not year round. One of my favorite things is all the wildflowers near the highways, and how people's yards become a riot of color. You learn to appreciate these things when they are not all the time. I love LA's eternally blooming jasmine and hibiscus, but there is something precious when the blossoms are fleeting.

Ferndale grave Eureka lavender Trinidad roses

And of course, you really can't visit the North Coast without paying homage to the coastal redwoods.

up canopy big blue ox

Or, the, um... livestock. In this case, Babe the Big Blue Ox who stands at the Trees Of Mystery just outside Klamath, CA. Total tourist trap but every child who grows up in Humboldt or Del Norte Counties gets forced to pose under Babe's big blue self eventually.

Dorothy Annie and Grandpa

We people come and go, but the rocks, beaches, headlands and redwoods endure.

It was nice to be home. And then nice to come home to LA, even though the drive was 14 hours. I will probably not let 6 years stand between me and the North Coast again.

1 comment:

Ina said...

Thanks for the tour of the North Coast! I hope to see it sometime. I love it that Babe made it to California - there's a Paul Bunyan statue (sans Babe) back in Maine.