Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A pet peeve

You know what bugs the shit out of me?

People styling themselves "Lord" this or "Lady" that in everyday life, when they aren't actually some kind of peer.

It never fails to put my teeth on edge.

About the only exception to this rule for me is if someone is playing Faire or SCA and the title is a matter of the character they are playing. And then it only doesn't bug me as long as we're at an event, IN costume, in character. Once the closing bell rings, I ain't playing no more.

Certain Wicca groups also use titles as a matter of degree, and IN ritual space, IN that context, it doesn't bug me quite as much (though I've never been a fan of degrees) as it does when some random schmoe goes around calling themselves "Lord or Lady So and So."

I don't know why this makes me want to throw cake at them, but it does. It makes me want to yell, 'Look, the internet is NOT a magical fairy land of golden make believe!' very loudly, and that's not nice, and it also takes their fun aw
ay. And why do I care? Why would I want to do that? It is a classic example of "whatever floats your boat" and really, if Mary Sue Pootieschmidt from Topeka wants to style herself "Lady so and so" on teh intarwebs, I really should not care. But it never fails. Teeth, gritted, eyes, rolling so hard they could be marbles.

We all want to be the pretty, pretty Princess. We all want the fluffy dress. Maybe it's that? And hey, that's ok.

This is a very small concern, in the face of rising oil prices, cost of living, elections in Zimbabwe, and the fact that I need at least another plastic tub to get my yarn unpacked and there's honestly no place in my new house for another plastic tub to reside.

It just itches me and I'm not sure why I care. I can't solve it. But I think I just thought of where another plastic yarn tube might be hiding.

9 comments:

Phoe said...

By that token, do names like Starhawk bug you?

There's a fluffiness to magical gentry titles. Fluffy tends to give me hives.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Um, yes and no. Craft names serve a purpose and I understand the need for them. Pen names are fine, using Craft names at events, faires, and pagan oriented things doesn't bug me, but introducing yourself as Lady Wolfyfire of Dragontickle at a cocktail party at your office gives me hives.

Starhawk is sort of an exception to the rule. She's grandmothered in as "pretty much too cool to fuck up" in any context. ;-P

And I really shouldn't talk, my actual name is Rain. But that's just my name, it isn't a craft name or a faire name. It's on my drivers license. I have a perfectly conventional last name and I don't go swanning around adding a title to it. ;-P

Fluffy kinda gives me hives too.

Shrinky Inky said...

'Look, the internet is NOT a magical fairy land of golden make believe!'

Well shit, you've just burst my bubble ;)

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Oh, and you know the other thing that gives me absolute apoplexy?

NON Native people taking names like Dances With Eagles and running shamanic retreats and sweat lodges.

You wanna burn a little cedar, a little sweetgrass, some sage in your house on your own time? Go for it. Whatever floats your boat. But don't package it up and sell it. That shit is just wrong.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Ooops, Inky, I'm sorry!

Um.

See, that's me, ruining it for everybody.

Can I blow a handful of this magical sparkly pixie dust over you and restore the bubble? It was blessed by Lady Dragontickle of Fluffybunny in a GENUINE shamanistic ritual with drums and chanting and everything, and then she threw in some crystal mojo and some Nepalese spirituality just to cover her bases!! ;-PP

Ina said...

At an office cocktail party? Oh, so not done!

Herefox said...

So I'm not allowed to call myself "Lord high poohbah, master of the universe and king of everything, Herefox"? How sad.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Not unless you want me to smack you!

Marilyn Miller, the Marmalady said...

Lady So and So doesn't sit well with me either.