Sunday, June 15, 2008

I did not knit in public yesterday.

We have two bathrooms. One of these bathrooms is "the cat's bathroom" by which I mean, the litterbox sits on top of a vinyl cover in the shower stall, and we use the master bathroom to shower. This is a space saving tactic in a small apartment and it has worked well for many years.

I thought.

The children are responsible for cleaning the litter box. And I thought that they were carefully sweeping up any excess cat sand that may have tracked out of the box and depositing it into the bag with the rest of the cat mess, and then putting *that* in the trash.

Imagine my surprise when I removed the vinyl cover to start scrubbing tile and get the bathroom ready for our pending move-out, only to discover that the children have very carefully been lifting the vinyl and sweeping the excess sand into the conveniently located hole in the bottom of the shower.

No, no, it's okay. I'll just wait here while you process that, and then you can laugh.

Because as we all know, clumping cat sand + water = cement. In my drain. In a rental. So you can imagine my dismay. You can maybe imagine the yelling that might have taken place, and the pulling out of my hair, and the gnashing of my teeth.

I believe the words "What the FRAK were you thinking? Augh!" might have been uttered. Once or twice. As well as "Kitty litter plus water make CEMENT!! AUUUUGH." and also "You have just cost me THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TO FIX THIS. AUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!" and then there was some more gnashing and rending and tearing and we worked back around to "What were you THINKING?" and that was fun.

So I did not spend yesterday knitting in public. No, I spent yesterday with a shop vac, a length of flex hose, a roll of duct tape and an actual real Rocket Scientist, sucking clumping kitty litter out of my shower drain.

Actually, the Rocket Scientist did all the work. One thing I have learned when an engineer is on the job, just back the hell off and let them do their thing. Answer all calls for flashlights, lengths of garden hose, screwdrivers and cold drinks with alacrity, but otherwise, bugger off.

This task took the Rocket Scientist longer than you might think. But the drain, it is clear.

Then, I went out with a cute boy, and I drank mojitos in public. And I ate a Warm Chocolate Thing. And I had a steak. And while I was doing this, the children got to stay home and have leftovers. And I did not feel one bit guilty.

So I guess yesterday, for me, was WW Drink In Public Day. And after the kitty litter in the shower drain, I can only say that I earned it.

10 comments:

Shrinky Inky said...

ya know, i have kept our kitties litter box in the shower for years. i guess the secret was remembering not to have children (no matter how cute they are).

drinking mojitos in public with a cute boy is SOOOOO much better than knitting in public anyway.

glad you had a rocket scientist handy, they are useful to have around.

Phoe said...

You definitely earned it. :)

Alwen said...

(insert startled bark of laughter here)

That was great, in a "glad it wasn't my drain" way. And now I'm hungry for warm chocolate things.

KnitNana said...

ROF! Ok....I had the scene and the hysterics long before you suggested we wait for it, but then I have cats...and have had for years - and I also had kids. (sigh)

Umm...that Rocket Scientist? Me thinks he might have appreciated a steak as payment?

I'm glad the drain is clear and you had a wonderful dinner!
(((hugs)))

Jerry said...

Yay, score one for the fellow engineer. Most engineers are half full types looking to find a resolution to problems. Once in a while things go your way and life is really good when they do. A date with a cute boy sure beats a bill from your local plumber. :)

Ragnar said...

wait...what? I thought everyday was drink in public day...

I can see how that seemed a tidy solution, the sweeping of the excess into the drain. I can see myself doing that.

Lucia said...

OMG. Did you pay the Rocket Scientist with beer?

Marie said...

Oh my. Are the children still living? I'm glad to know you rewarded yourself afterward, but it sounds like a bit of an ordeal!

sopranospinner said...

I knit in public on Saturday, but only one person saw me, I think! I was volunteering at a golf tournament/fundraiser but didn't arrive until all of the golfers were out playing so I spent two hours chatting with a fellow volunteer and knitting socks. Hope the move goes well!

St. Tracy said...

Cute boys rock