Wednesday, March 26, 2008

You know you are a Knitter when...

I have a friend who has been resisting the siren call of knitting for a few years now. Who finally picked up needles and yarn against her better judgement, and got hooked. A friend who, I don't think, will ever look back to her days as a NON knitter with anything but a vague sense of "What was I thinking?"

Like all beginners, she is maybe a little unsure of actually calling herself a knitter yet, because she is still learning some very basic things. She's afraid that she lacks some basic, fundamental know how that separates knitters from players. Maybe she is afraid we'll all look at her and say, "Nuh uh." if she tries to assert that she has a place in the club.

I'm here to tell you, she's got a place in the club.

Girlfriend was knitting in her living room last night when gunfire erupted across the street. Her boy was yelling at her to get down and what did Girlfriend do? Before she stopped, dropped, and rolled? She calmly finished the few stitches that were left in her row, because she might drop a stitch on the way down to the floor. While the bullets were flying. I'd like to also point out that this was beaded knitting and she had to seat a bead on one of those stitches while all this hullaballo was in motion. And she worries that she's not a Knitter???

I don't think she has to worry. She's one of us, all right. God help her.

I am now hunting for Kevlar yarn and have a vague idea of knitting her an Aran flak vest.

no knitters were harmed in the making of this anecdote

8 comments:

Christie said...

Wow. She's hard-core.

Mouse said...

That's some serious knit-action there.. lol.

Lucia said...

GUNFIRE? YIKES.

Re your previous post: I am Kitchener impaired. I deal with this mostly by making toe-up short-row socks. When I absolutely must Kitchener, I do a round/row in a contrasting (preferably light and/or bright) color of waste yarn and then just follow its path, working very loosely and being careful not to split the waste yarn with the working yarn. When done I pull out the waste yarn and tighten the grafted sts. I did not invent this trick, but I'm sure glad someone did.

geogrrl said...

Lord, she sounds like my mother.

*Ahem*

And, well, me.

Phoe said...

Yeah, that's a hard core knitter there. :)

Roxie said...

And when she gets to heaven and St. Peter says, "Why are you here?" She will say, "I just had to finish the row." And the trunpets will play and the gates will swing open and angels will waft her home with socks of glory.

Alwen said...

Whoa. I don't think I would've dropped my knitting, but I'm not so sure about finishing the row!

Cambria said...

classic knitter behavior! lol. she's totally official.