Sunday, March 30, 2008

Slow down. Enjoy the journey.

bad view

Not the best view ever.

pillars heel

Hard to photograph your own foot and heel. But, isn't it a perfectly lovely heel? Love how the cables run down it and snug it up to fit just right. Now that I've done a cabled/patterned heel flap, I wonder why they ever seemed so intimidating.

Because I am an impatient knitter, I tend to knit things just a little short sometimes. I just want to get to the next section and mix it up a little. I bargain with myself "Ok, just half an inch more...." and sometimes I am a little optimistic. And wrong. Sometimes I forget how huge my feet are. Well, darnit, this sock was no exception. Looks like these are going to be a gift for someone with a slightly smaller foot than mine. I know just the person would would appreciate them, too. They aren't unwearable, they just need a scootch more room to fit the way I like them. Nothing more heartbreaking than all that work and realizing you won't enjoy the finished project.

Some things I need to remember when knitting socks for myself:

1. My toes are stupidly long.
2. My feet are stupidly long.
3. My heels are stupidly long.
4. I have feet like a jackrabbit.
5. Knitting patterns are not written for people with jackrabbit feet.
6. Make them longer. Every time. Shut up. Just... make them longer.
7. That's not long enough. Knit another half an inch.
8. Put the sock down and pick up something else if you are not going to knit that half an inch more. Do NOT...I said do NOT start the toe yet. Put it down.
9. Calm now? Great. Knit another half inch.
10. Jackrabbit feet. Live with it.

pillars gusset

I knit the pattern as written for a size 9-10 foot, but went up to #2 needles and I think if you used smaller needles you might have to add pattern repeats around the ankle. At least one, maybe two. I know I would. This pattern fits VERY snugly because of the cabling. Probably not a bad idea to swatch for gauge or at least try it on a lot and make sure it fits while you're making it.

pillars gusset

I am officially now in the camp of Fleece Artist LOVE. I think what makes this particular colorway insanely fabulous is really the colorplay and subtle variegation. I really like how they all work together.

7 comments:

Mouse said...

This is why I knit toe up socks - because I can't ever get the top down ones to fit properly.

geogrrl said...

Actually, I'm the opposite of mouse. It's easier for me to fix a toe-down sock that's too short than toe-up.

By the time I realize the toe-up sock is too-long/too-short I have to rip out the heel and the gusset before I can correct it. A great deal of swearing went into my last pair of toe-up socks.

With toe-down, I unpick the kitchenering (or carefully snip a loop, if I'm that impatient), rip back the toe, knit the needed length, then re-knit and re-graft the toe. You'll have to splice on some extra yarn, but that's no big deal.

sopranospinner said...

I'm usually okay with wool waiting till I get to the right spot before decreases (or heels) except with Fixation yarn. I don't like knitting with it is part of the problem. And then I forget how much it shrinks when you wash it so I get that along with shortchanging the foot in the first place. I'm not buying any more!

pigbook1 said...

I am the opposite. I have stubby feet. Is it time to decrease for the toe? Nope, rip back half an inch, then start :-) we all have to adjust I guess

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Geo, thank you for the tip! I ripped, reknit and it's perfect!

Definitely always good to remember that knitting patterns are still going to need to be adjusted to one's personal needs.

geogrrl said...

You're welcome! Glad I could help. The new socks look faaabulous, by the way. I LOVE that colourway.

Alwen said...

I'm glad you ended up with socks that fit! I love that colorway!

Me, I have Dutch duck-feet, wide at the toe, high instep, then heel that is simultaneously big (to get the cuff around), but narrow from side to side.

Hand-knitted, custom-fit socks are blessing.