Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Why didn't I vote today?

Because at 8:30am when I arrived at my polling place (which had moved and took some trouble to find), they had me listed on the rolls as "Green" instead of "Democrat."

I changed my party affiliation when Bush stole the election from Gore, and I re-registered as a Democrat. I know I was a registered Democrat on the rolls in 2004 when I voted in that primary, because I voted a Democratic ballot.

How in the HELL did they have me down as Green today, 4 years later? I haven't changed my party affiliation or re-registered.

I didn't vote. They wouldn't let me vote the Democratic ticket. I get that the rules is the rules and I respect the rules? But some clerical error meant that I got no vote today.

I am sad.

Obama, you would have had my vote.



Yes we can.

4 comments:

Ina said...

Excellent video. Obama carried my county, although not the state, but proportionate representation at the convention means he still gets delegates.

Christie said...

That's a totally bummer. Some of those people at the polling place...WHEW! Where did the find them?

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

They're folks like you and me who volunteer their time and energy to make sure that the rest of the country can have a polling place to vote in! :-) I've got a LOT of respect for the poll workers, it's a long crappy day and they are actually putting their money where their mouth is. I probably should aspire to be more like *them* when it comes to contributing my time to the process.

I think they were probably equally frustrated by the people THEY had to deal with! ;-)

I felt bad yesterday, I got a little pissed off about the situation, and while I tried not to be rude, I was not my usual gracious "thank you for volunteering" self." as I left. That wasn't cool.

Jerry said...

By law they were supposed to let you vote on a paper ballot for any party you wanted but you have to tell them that is what you wanted to do, not ask them because theu don't know the law. It's just the electronic version was limited to who you were registered as. This was not an isolated incident either. The LA county registrar of voters is being questioned for the issues. I just moved and registered online two weeks ago and it all worked out ok. Although I must say, the sum total IQ of the polling place workers, 5 of them, barely broke a hundred combined. I feel your pain...bovrisry