Saturday, February 23, 2008

It has been pretty darn cold all this week. Naturally, every single wool hat or cap that I've knit in the entire last few YEARS of knitting has disappeared into some teenager's (or the other's) room, not to be found. I don't feel safe excavating in either of those sites, not to mention I haven't got the right permits for a dig of that magnitude.

But I digress. "I'll just whip up a little something." I thought to myself early this week. And so I tried casting on my own improvised slouchy beret, then I tried the pattern over on CAP's site (but since my yarn and needles were different sizes, that involved math and I ended up with a beret that would have fit a bull elephant) and then it occurred to me... OH! Ravelry. Duh!

And thus, the One Day Beret pattern was discovered and cast on and it was Good.
one day beret side

The pattern was originally knit up by the designer using two separate skeins of handpaint, alternating each row. I liked that idea. I also liked the idea of using up the 3 skeins of Noro Cash Island that I had in my stash, but they were all the same colorway. No problem, this being Noro, they all wound up into balls with the colors starting in different places. I can work with that! The result is a hat that is sometimes sharply striped with alternating but complimentary colors, and sometimes (there in the middle in particular) the stripes are so close as to blend almost perfectly together. It's exciting to see how things are lining up.

one day beret


Plus the center is nifty and the increases create this lovely spiral/nautilus effect.
center one day beret

Thank you Ravelry! Thank you previously unknown knitwear designer!

Also? I just wanted to say, it's not that I'm accusing anyone? I'm just saying it's suspicious is all, when the bowl of flowers that usually sits on the DVD player isn't all of a sudden and there are cats up there instead.

evidence?

The dog obviously pushed it over to make room for them. Maybe I am accusing someone. Bad, bad, bad dog.

3 comments:

Roxie said...

Lovely beret, and great way to use the Noro! And as for the kitties, my, they ARE good at amusing themselves, aren't they? Bad dog indeed.

KnitNana said...

Isn't Ravelry just wonderful!!! Cute hat!
And I'm sure it must have been the dog!
(((Hugs)))

Roggey said...

Whatever did we do before Ravelry? Oh. Right. Spent HOURS on the internet trying to find something, and being continually frustrated. ;) (I *adore* Ravelry!)

Great beret!