Monday, January 21, 2008

Today was the big show at MOCA. My girl had a piece in the SICKNASTY show that was an adjunct to the Murakami exhibit. That piece will go into a larger, multi-school showing after the 2nd, which is when the SICKNASTY thing wraps up.

big googly eyeballs

I am not sure what we'll be doing with it when it comes home from the museum. I don't think I want a 5' tall mushroom with huge googly eyes, in my living room. It might put me off my morning tea. It might even, dare I say it, displace yarn.

in the enchanted mushroom forest

Some of the work was quite directly derivative of Murakami's work - I think the grrl's piece is a good example of this. Other pieces were somewhat indirect - they took themes of media and pop culture and then made pieces around those themes with a sort of Murakami twist.

I could not send this to her grandmother

I am not sure what is going on with my grandfather's funeral. I'll be heading up to Modesto at some time within the next 3-10 days, I am sure, but aside from that, I have no clue what is going to happen. All I've wanted to do for the last two days is sleep. Family can be difficult.

1 comment:

Roxie said...

Sleep is symptomatic of so many different things - depression, incipient flu, stress, supressed anger. Guess you'll just have to keep snoozing till you figure out what's going on. Hope you get lots of kitties and hugs in the meantime.

The creator of the mushroom could have a performance art deconstruction experience and film the smashing, stomping, burning (?) and thorough trashing of her work. Then she could enter the film in next year's show.