Monday, January 07, 2008

Mittens is doing SO much better!! He is regaining his weight and his spunk. I believe he is out of the danger zone and firmly on the road to health. I am going to start him transitioning back to his normal food, over the course of the next few days.

I've been feeling a little creatively unfulfilled lately and this seemed to be as good a time as any to teach myself watercolor technique (properly), so I am now the proud owner of not only tubey watercolors but pencil style watercolors, brushes, frisket, paper, board, tape, stuff... stuff... stuff... all for something I don't know how to do yet. I do not know what comes over me in art supply stores and yarn stores, except that it is some kind of frenzy, a kind of madness really. I really should stay out of them. My brain races with pretty pictures and I see all the things I could do... and then suddenly I'm forking over the grocery money for paints and cold press paper. Or yarn. Or fiber. Or clay. Or beads. Or.... you get my drift. Acquire the shiny first, then figure out what to do with it. That's how we roll around here.

I am trying to get myself out of the creative doldrums. Sometimes the doldrums are necessary. Sometimes life hits us hard and it's really soothing to stick with the unchallenging and uncomplicated. It is just nice, when you get the energy back, to remember to challenge yourself a little. To remember that you can still learn and grow. Or that you even want to. Maybe some new materials and mediums will spark something good.

Plied off the Funky Carolina singles that I'd been spinning since before the holidays began.

FC-UNEARTHED funky singles

I got two skeins of fingering weight two-ply out of 4 oz of fiber and I'm estimating a total of 400 yards of yarn, give or take. The second skein is more evenly and tightly plied. The first skein is a little too loose. I slowed way down with #2 and counted treadles and it really made a difference. I absolutely gained some insight into the plying process out of it. I'd have a picture here, but someone who shall go unnamed but whose name sounds a lot like my oldest child's, has absconded with my camera and I cannot find it. I went into her bedroom to look, and came out with two glasses, four mugs and a bowl, all of which were growing science experiments - but no camera. So no gorgeous pictures of plied yarny goodness for y'all. Probably good, I might have opted to record the science experiments for posterity and that's maybe not the best blog fodder.

The kids are back to school today and I am reveling in my mostly clean, very quiet house. The last of the holidays are truly gone and "normal" has descended upon us once more. I hadn't realized how much I needed a few quiet hours until I got them. How happy were the morning's agonized groans as alarm clocks sounded and how sweet the sound of kvetching about school. Whine, little children! Moan! Complain! And then hasten your mopey little butts out the door, because the schoolbells will be ringing ever so sweetly for you to get to class and you would not want to miss it!

Joy. Tea. Silence.

3 comments:

loopykd said...

TEA! I'm with ya! I wish the holidays were gone from here but the only part gone is the tree. The ornaments are ALL over the dining room table and the boxes where I keep them are in the garage where I can't get them. So.....clean and quiet, not so much, but quiet, I have.

geogrrl said...

Yay for Mittens! I'm so glad to hear the little guy is doing better. It's having his humans and his pillow--I'm sure of it.

I know what you mean--not necessarily about craft supplies, but new hobbies. I've just gotten back into sewing, because I've taken an interest in vintage patterns and have started collecting, even though I don't have much time to sew these days.

I've always wanted to draft my own patterns. I can alter existing patterns, but never knew how to draft them from nothing. I found a book on how to do it, and it doesn't look too hard (famous last words) but I just don't have the time to get into it. That hasn't stopped me from buying the paper and drafting tools, though.

Then there's letterboxing. I heard about it on L&V and just think it sounds like a lot of fun. I'm FORCING myself to not think about where I could get the materials to make a personal stamp and log book, and start thinking about clues, and... and...

Well, yeah.

if time exists said...

So happy that Mittens is still improving! I know what you mean about the art/craft supplies...except that I get some idea or technique in my head and then I CANNOT stop obsessing until I have obtained the required materials. Then I start the project in a frenzy of excitement, and it usually never goes anywhere. C'est la vie.

I really like this site/blog for info and inspriation about watercolor sketchbooks. Good luck with the paints!