Wednesday, January 02, 2008

All around me people are making their resolutions for the new year, commitments to themselves, promises to do this or that, setting goals and taking advantage of the bright shiny newness that the turning of the year always seems to bring.

I am honestly not sure how I feel about resolutions. On one hand, I love the idea of another chance, a clean slate, the opportunity to get my shit together, but I don't really need a new calendar to give myself any of those things. I could say, "Today is the rest of my life starting NOW." and resolve anything at any time, right? So why does the shiny new calendar seem so hopeful? The reality is, I never keep the damn things. I make these sweeping, grand commitments, and then I peter out with them when life gets hard or stressful and it's all I can do to hang on by my fingernails. I end up feeling like a total failure and that's not a very nice way to end the year.

Maybe the trick to it, for me, is not in making the huge, new changes but in simply shifting the spotlight to areas of life that are already in play, and paying more attention to them.

Maybe rather than focusing on goals and the finish line, I'd get more of a sense of growth and WIN if I just looked at how certain situations and things have changed in the course of a year. Maybe I'd feel less like a loser because I don't have to confront all the dropped balls.

At any rate, whether you have a bucket full of resolutions or are playing it cool and refusing to make any, here is hoping you are able to make all your desires come to fruition in the new year.

4 comments:

loopykd said...

Hear hear! Good luck!

teabird said...

That's how I've approached the beginning of this year - looking larger, hoping to develop what I already know is right and nourishing --

do pet little Mittens for me, yes?

tiggerr said...

I make my resolutions not in January but all year through.
And I set realistic goals.

Like reducing my stash, *giggle*

KnitNana said...

I set goals - and realize that I rarely meet them. But if I didn't have something to plan for?...even if that plans fall thru? Well...
Happy New Year!
(((hugs)))