Tuesday, November 13, 2007

My jury duty is done. At the end of it all, I am drained and sad, so I am getting some kitten therapy in the form of Honey who is keeping me company. Actually, I think Honey is keeping my hot rice bag company, and I just happen to be under the hot rice bag, but, I'll take what I can get. It's purry and cosy.

I hope I never have to do it again, or at least not for a good long while. I have done my civic duty. I sat on a jury that handed down a verdict that is probably going to send two people to prison, CA law being what it is about felonies and strikes. I'm gonna carry the weight of it for a long time. That's what I'm carrying tonight and it's a tough one, much as I think we were right. Much as I know their own choices landed them in front of our jury box. I'm not much of a prayer saying person, and I don't mean this in some smarmy "I'll pray for them to 'see the light and be good people.'" way, but I will pray for those people. Because they are going to a hard, dark place and they are IN a hard dark place and I will pray for some light for them that is not about morals or judgement, but is just about sustenance and the human soul.

Sometimes, "right" is not "easy" and doing the right thing can be heartbreaking. But I am glad that the law and the judicial process is something that is heavy, because it would not be ok if it were "easy", I think.

Kitten and penzey's hot chocolate for me. I'm just too sad to talk about yarn tonight, though I'm hoping I feel like picking some up later.

6 comments:

Mouse said...

I have to admit that is the exact reason why I wouldn't serve on jury duty.. the idea of living with a decision on someone else's life is just waaaay too much stress for me. Kitten therapy sounds like a good way to de-stress. (says she of the "kitten train dream"...)

WilBlg4Yrn said...

*hugs*

loopykd said...

Kitten therapy is always good! In my humble opinion, Right is NEVER easy. I have learned this as a parent and I am sure you learned the same thing. I am glad you are done and I hope you recover quickly.

Tempted Handpainted Yarns said...

My second attempt at leaving a comment.
I want to say Thank you and I realize it was not easy. Being 600 miles away I have no idea what this case was about but on behalf of victims everywhere Thank You. I do not take what you have done lightly.
xoxoxo Stacy

geogrrl said...

No, right is never easy. It is difficult to sit in judgment over someone else, particularly when your judgment can affect the course of their life.

However, in order for all of us to live in this thing called "society", certain codes and rules HAVE to be followed. Otherwise, those less able to defend themselves get the short end of the stick. And that's not right or fair either.

You did a good thing and you're a good citizen.

Lucia said...

(((Rain))) Your jury service was much harder than mine: I sat in the pool room knitting (I was one of 3 knitters, I think) until they told us all the trials had settled/pled out and we could go home.

I'll be thinking of them too. And of you.