Sunday, August 26, 2007

Well yesterday's spin in went swimmingly! We had a total of 7 people show up, four with wheels, one spindler, another gal who got to learn on a lender spindle, and one knitter, who by the end of the afternoon was making noises about wanting to learn to spin and get a wheel for herself. *grin* It was fabulous.

group shot

We met at the cafe that I work at, and the fiber began flying. I haven't had such a relaxing, fun afternoon in a long, long time.

Some of the gals asked me to make a resource post - and give URLs for my favorite fiber pushers, so I'm going to do that here.

Spunky Eclectic I belong to the roving of the month club and really like it. She has great colorways (even when I don't like them, they're interesting and give me a spinning/learning challenge) and varies the fibers a lot so you get a chance to work with many different things. For $15 a month, I consider it a great deal.

Funky Carolina On Etsy. I've only spun up one of her rovings and am in LOVE. The colors are so beautiful and saturated. I've got one more in stash and will definitely be buying more from her as soon as I can. A joy to spin and a nice selection of fibers on her site.

Dragonfibers On Etsy. Gorgeous colorways.

Zero Markers On Etsy. Beautifully prepared rovings and top. Also pearl stitch markers.

String Theory Fiber Arts My friend Reesa's shop on Etsy. She does insanely beautiful colorways. "Rainwood" is actually named after me so I'm kind of squeeful about that. She's a really gifted fiber artist and her stuff is great. She sells yarn, too.

Carolina Homespun I bought both my Bosworth spindles and my Schacht here. Morgaine taught me to spin on a spindle at the Fabulous Fiber Fest. She's got a very extensive selection of spinning Stuff and they're good people.

Stick and Stone I got my Kromski here. Nice selection of basic (and not so basic!) fibers, plus an assortment of wheels, spindles, cards, tools, whotsits, whoosits, and bits and odds and ends of anything a handspinner might want. Plus? They're local to LA and woman owned! Support brick and mortar local business!

Copper Moose I get a lot of my basic fiber from these folks. If you want a pound of Corriedale or three pounds of BFL to play with or try dying, this is the place to go. Quality fiber at great prices.

A Mano Yarn Center I've gotten some nice spinning fiber from the gals at A Mano. They sell Chasing Rainbows, Chameleon Colorworks and some other fiber artists, as well as spindles, the occasional spinning wheel and one of the best selections of yarn I've ever seen. Another LA brick and mortar woman owned business that should be ardently supported.

Sachi's Purls she has great colorways and her fiber is really nicely prepared. I'll be buying from her again. I haven't spun up what I got from her but I can't wait!

These fiber artists are next on my list to try:

Griffin Dye Works
DharmaFey's Etsy store
Terra Bella Spun Etsy store
Actual Size Creations Etsy store

Hope this helps with your buying frenzy!

The next Sit And Spin At Synergy is going to be on Saturday, September 29th from 12-4. Hope to see you there!

7 comments:

loopykd said...

Man! I wish I could have gone. I'm still not unpacked though but I will be there September 29th without fail! I can't wait! Maybe by then I will have much more practice under my belt too.

sopranospinner said...

I will be camping that weekend, but will be with you in spirit (and spinning outdoors!).

Thanks for the fun!

Did you get my Ravelry message? How about Pie in the Sky for Monster Mash?

theresab said...

Rainy, can you email everyone that was there with everyone else's email addresses?

Maybe we can try to organize a sock knitting thing separate from the spinning..

Nutella Nutterson said...

Nooooo! I will be driving back from the Knit and Crochet show on Saturday. Waaaaah. (Wait, what am I complainin about? I get to go to the Knit and Crochet show!) ~Kate

cavalaxis said...

That was so much fun. Thank you again for inviting me. And thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to put together this fantastic resource list. <3

sopranospinner said...

Sorry I haven't made it to the post office yet. Today, I promise!
W

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

teresa, I plan to send out the requested email asap, just haven't had a chance to do so yet.

cavalaxis, I hope you can come on the 29th! I want to pick your brains about some stuff!

SS, no worries, I haven't had time either. No rush. We'll sort it out! :-) I'll try to get there today.

loopy, see you there!