Friday, August 31, 2007

It is going to be another searing day in Southern California. The weather is insane and it makes the spinning and the knitting of woolly things a mite uncomfortable. I stayed up late last night and spun up 2 oz of Spunky roving in "Walkabout". I hope to get the other 2 oz spun up tonight. Maybe even plied.

I can't find my camera cord, woe, but I have pictures of the absolutely gorgeous rose colored rovings I spun up from Funky Carolina to post eventually. I've renamed the yarn "Rose Congou" because it reminds me of tea. I think it shall become something for a tea friend.

I also finished sock #1 of the Charade pair and cast on for #2. Yay!

I had an endometrial biopsy a few weeks ago, part of my ever fun struggle with the girl bits (uterine cancer runs on my mom's side of the family - both mom and maternal grandma had it) and the biopsy came back negative, so now I know that it is just the usual garden variety crap that I've always had, causing me no end of misery. I am so relieved. I do this every couple of years just to keep an eye on things. The condition I do have a firm DX on can sometimes mimic uterine cancer symptoms, so we're pro-active about making sure that we're not missing anything. It stinks and I hate it when I'm on that table, but wow am I grateful to have such great care and a doctor committed to early detection. Every time I get the phone call saying the biopsy is negative, I feel as if I got my life back. I am now older than both my grandmother and my mother were when they developed symptoms and had hysterectomies. Because of good treatment and catching it early, they both survived and there was no recurrence of cancer at all for either of them. I still have my mom and I'm so grateful for her. Have I dodged that bullet? I'm not taking it for granted. I won't let my daughters take it for granted either.

If you haven't already, you really should find out your family history about breast, uterine and ovarian cancers. It is so important. Early detection is key. I didn't find out about my mother or grandmother until I was in the throes of my own gyn misery. My mom never told me and I was very small when she had her surgery and treatment, so I didn't remember it at all.

Ask. It may save your life.

Pictures and Etsy goodness later, I'm off to celebrate.

2 comments:

loopykd said...

Congratulations on your clean bill of health! Just wait for the hot flashes, night sweats, and bad dreams head your way and you'll really celebrate!

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

I'm a few years off from that one, thank god! Though I hear that the fun starts a little early and picks up speed as you move into your 40's, so yeah, SO looking forward to that!