Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Oddball Sock is coming along pretty well:

oddball sock 2

Lorna's Laces, Cherry Tree Hill and Koigu KPPPM. I have discovered that I need to read up on colorwork and yarn changes because there is a Stupid Knitters Trick going on near the colorchanges where I switch yarn and I'm not sure what's up with that.

close up wtf?

I imagine that I'm doing something wrong. Anyone? Bueller?

Spinning!

My plying is shit, but I also haven't set the twist and I know it will even out a lot when that happens. Superwash merino handpaint from Zero's Etsy store. I had a lot of trouble Andean plying this. It broke a lot and that's hard to deal with when you're have the yarn wad on the wrist going on. I think because of the shorter staple and the inconsistencies in my own spinning style - areas where it was under spun just could not hold up to the weight of plying with the spindle.

zero handspun

zero handspun close

And then the last two skeins of that Spunky Eclectic in a colorway I cannot remember the name of. The finished yarn reminds me of the sky at sunset or maybe dawn and I spun it with fairly long stretches of color integrity so I am going to try to knit it into something gradient and dawnlike. I have 3 more skeins in this colorway spun up and set.

spunky handspun

spunky handspun close

I can't even begin to describe how much I love my new camera. I also can't even begin to describe how much I wish I had my birthday spinning wheel. I really need to narrow it down soon. I'm just afraid of buying one I'll end up not loving.

I know this is a process but lately all I can see is what's wrong with my spinning. I think it's time to take some classes.

6 comments:

KnitNana said...

Can't help on the colorwork, but the sock is great! And Miss Honey is so cute...
I'm so impressed with your spinning...(of course, you know I'd be impressed - I don't spin!)
(((hugs)))

if time exists said...

I think your spinning looks great! Much better than mine, anyway. Good luck with the wheel shopping.

sopranospinner said...

Still think that colorway is Leaf Peep, and it's my favorite from Amy so far, bar none.

Spinning looks good, too!

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

I *love* Amy's rovings! I really wish I'd saved the label on this roving.

A Mano Crew said...

we missed you at the shop's anniversary party. hope you're well. oh, btw, we got new roviing...

Roxie said...

love your yarn. For years I paid extra to get yarn with character and texture. Then I discovered that, as a novice spinner, I could make my own. I don't try to spin fine and even. If you want machine-like perfection, buy machine-spun yarn.I LOVE your yarns!