Friday, May 25, 2007

A week of living dangerously

It was a week of houseguests, playing hooky from work, ballgames, eating in restaurants every day and fiber therapy. It was a week in which I totally blew my yarn diet and my budget and I am so totally not sorry!

My houseguests and I went out to eat a lot, like you do, and this week I discovered the delights to be had at mi ranchito on Washington Blvd. in Culver City. This was a really cute little place that is deceptively small looking on the outside but quite large and comfy inside. Some of the best Mexican I've had in LA, Veracruz style so heavy on the seafood. I've heard people complain that the portions are small but c'mon, Americans supersize everything and I definitely walked out of there more than sated without feeling stuffed to discomfort. I've been driving past this place since about 2001 and wondering if we should try it. I wish I'd gone sooner. I know I'll be back.

I also introduced everyone to my favorite breakfast spot, Sam and Woody's or the S&W as everyone around here calls it. The linked post has some awesome pictures - I didn't have my camera so can't offer up the eye candy. Suffice it to say, if you ever go, get Sam's Hashbrowns and an order of homemade hash, you won't be sorry.

I visited the Fluevog store. I did not buy these:
zoom
though I was sore tempted and they do have lay-away. These just beg for gloves, a vintage looking tea gown and hat to wear out for a nice cuppa and some cakes, don't they? Did I mention they come in black? shoes. [video link contains bad words and shoes]

I bought some Noro Cash Iroha at A Mano Yarn Center while I was waiting for the shuttle to the ballgame.
norotherapy
I'm not sure what I'm going to make but I have 3 skeins so maybe some cute little mitts.

The postman also brought me some roving from Zero Markers
zeroroving

And then the UPS man brought me a new bbq grill that I'd ordered off of Amazon.com last week. When Mr. YP moved out in January, he took our old gas grill with him. I didn't mind, it was old and HUGE (too large for our patio) and I hated dealing with the huge tanks of propane that you had to wrestle with periodically. So I got this cute little apartment sized number:
spacegrill

It is the Weber Q100 and it's very cute. Small and I have to get used to cooking on it because the grill part is cast iron and heats up quickly, and the flame is closer to the grill than I'm used to. I think it looks like a little spaceship.

I got it all set up on the patio and had a bit of a panic about the propane. That was something that the ex Mr. YP always dealt with and I was a little iffy about hooking it all up. Seriously there was this total Man+Meat+Fire mythos going on at our place, ever since the time I set the patio fence on fire while forgetting about some chicken. So actually buying a grill, assembling said grill, getting the right propane for the grill and working up the courage to deal with it was somewhat of a major triumph for me. Then I had this thought. OMGFIREBALLSwhat if it leaked??? I put the canister on twice and then took it back off and decided to order takeout before I worked up the courage to actually turn the grill ON. Once I got it on, I felt a little more confident about the whole meat+fire thing. Then I turned some sausages to charcoal and had to eat leftovers.

Obviously, there's a little more finetuning needed with meat+fire. But at least my bbq grill is cute, right? And the patio fence did not go up in flames, which I think is a definite improvement.

I am so back on the budget and redoubling my efforts at frugal fu. We are Chez Beans And Rice for a while, alas.

And last but not least, apparently, flying in England really will give you bees.

3 comments:

Miss Emily said...

The video was hilarious! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time... I too love shoes (and bags, and scarves, etc...). Thanks!

Mouse said...

At least if nothing else.. you managed to get a great phrase out of that silly experience.. "give you bees".. hee hee.
I love those shoes.. LOVE.

KnitNana said...

What a darling space ship! lolol!
You are so much braver than I...I could have a gas grill here, but won't. Maybe an hibachi?
lololol!
LOVE that yarn, can't wait to see what you do with it!
(((hugs)))