Thursday, February 08, 2007

Done.

poppa's hat
My first finished object in forever. I don't know the last time I finished something. But this went fast and I'm happy with it. Silk Garden and Merino Style, adapted from the Silk Garden Beannie pattern (I altered the stitch count and added the stripes) that's been floating around on the web lately. The merino gives the silk garden some structure, I really like these two yarns paired together. The oldest is hinting about arm warmers in the same combo. Not a bad idea... Anyway, this is my dad's birthday present, along with a very nice jar of Basque mustard.

Also done as in stick a fork in me, I'm done. Gran's funeral was lovely. Seeing all the cousins, aunt and uncle, everyone - that was wonderful. Cousin Will did a fabulous job of reading at the memorial. Moved me to tears. There were congo cookies. Cousins have all grown up, there are 2nd generation cousins bashing about the place and we are all getting older. It had been too damn long. I missed my family. I'm really sad about my grandmother this week. Lots of tears at weird moments, but I suppose that's what one does when one is saying goodbye to someone as important as she was.

legacy
A Grandma legacy. I used to creep into the rose room and play with these on the sly when I was little. I loved them. Now they're sitting on my dresser, on top of the handmade lace runner that belonged to Grandma Eve. We are just the caretakers of these things, but it is nice to be reminded of someone important by something tangible that becomes a part of our daily life.

Glad January is over, it was an absolutely stupid month, fraught with loss, and it deserves to be thrown out of the calendar year. It can try again in 2008.

buddha

Peace. Out.

4 comments:

Roxie said...

What a lovely hat! Silk and wool together are sooo warm! Lucky, lucky Dad!

Are the elephants rose quartz? They are clearly carrying blessings and comforts,

All good wishes to February!

Geogrrl said...

The hat is lovely. I've been on a kick of socks, hats and scarves lately. It's all I have the attention span for. I have yarn and patterns for sweaters and shawls but just haven't felt up to it.

I wanted to say how sorry I was about your Grandma's passing. She sounds like she was lovely and a much-needed presence in your life. The eulogy you wrote for her was beautiful. That's what it should be--remembering the little things that made your Grandma your Grandma.

Lucia said...

The beanie is beautiful. The elephants are gorgeous. May the rest of the year be better.

(((Rain)))

ecclescake said...

What a beautiful beanie! It's like rainbow, but not Rainbow Brite.

Warm thoughts for your loss of your grandmother. Still having so many wonderful memories and mementos is a good thing.