Thursday, January 18, 2007

I have to 'fess up. I broke my yarn diet. *sigh* I just spent $32 on yarn - two skeins of Sock! from Lisa Souza. But before anyone says, "Rainy, that's awful." let me qualify it with I got some Violet's Pink Ribbon because it felt needful to drop something into the kitty over there. The fact that it was also sock yarn and Lisa Souza sock yarn to boot had nothing to do with it. Much.

I have one good friend waiting on the results of her CA-125 test because they want to find out if the nasty mass they found on her ovaries is just complex but benign or if it is the Big Bad Scary Thing We Don't Want To Say. The mother of So-chan's boyfriend died two days ago from metastasized cancer that went from her lungs to her brain and maybe other places, leaving behind her teenage son, other adult kids, grandkids and her husband. It's tragic and sad and horrible and the family is devastated. She had, maybe 6 weeks between diagnosis and her death. If she'd had medical insurance or money for treatment, maybe she'd have gone to a doctor sooner and she'd still be here. Maybe not. We'll never know.

Another group of friends have set up The Lime Project to help yet another woman dealing with cancer and no resources to pay for treatment. They're raising money to help Heather and her story is over at the Lime Project Website. They've raised about 50% of the money they need to help her out. Their project consists of artfully taken nudes (very tasteful and pretty pictures) from all volunteer models, with the theme of "lime" running through each picture. Who doesn't like a little cheesecake now and then?

Fuck Cancer.

Hell yes, I broke my yarn diet. And I bought a tasteful cheesecake calender, too.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Rachel over at Lickety Knit (http://www.licketyknit.com/) made a chemo cap for a friend that says Fuck Cancer. Maybe--and, sadly, I'm not joking, because I also know people undergoing chemo--there should be a Fuck Cancer KAL.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

That's an awesome idea.

rudy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Ooookay Rudy, thank you for flying. Exits are conveniently located to the front and the rear and also on each side. Please use one.