Sunday, November 26, 2006

I am a little stir crazy after spending most of the day flat on my ass in bed, with the laptop and a stack of DVDs. I torqued my back at work last week and it's progressively gotten worse over the last few days. After my shift on Saturday, I found myself barely able to limp back to my car and by bedtime I couldn't even walk at all. Nothing like having to crawl to the loo at 3am, y'all. So today I regretfully phoned in broken and took a day off. Bedrest and alternating hot and ice packs have helped a lot today and I'm able to walk though it's damn sore. I'm not sure what I've done to myself. I am off to the doctor tomorrow and we will come up with A Cunning Plan to fix this up and then manage it so it doesn't happen again. I'm planning to enroll in a Pilates class when I'm clear for exercise, and really do some core strengthening.

I did manage to get about 5 more repeats in on Brooke's Column of Leaves scarf, which was happy, simple knitting. The lace repeat is easy enough that I managed to do it while completely floppy because of muscle relaxers. This El Dorado yarn from Lisa Souza is the most luxurious stuff ever. I just love it. This one is a gift, natch. The best yarns always end up going to someone special.

I'm also waiting for some yarn that I got at close out rock bottom prices from the fiber underground. I got at least 2500 yards of silk noile laceweight, about 2150+ yards of bamboo sock weight, 13 oz of corriedale, and 1/2 KG of mohair top. For a lot less than I'd have paid otherwise, thank you veddy much. I'd sworn myself onto a yarn diet a while ago, but this was just too beautiful to pass up. And SO CHEAP. Seriously a kick ass sale. They're going out of business and so getting rid of stock here. I don't know what they have left, it was going fast, but they had some interesting fibers and a lot of bamboo needles and the like. Don't know as I'll be keeping the mohair, I have a spinning friend who loves mohair and wants to try her hand at dying fiber - this might just be the perfect Yule gift. I may keep some to blend with other fibers. We'll see!

Speaking of bamboo needles... Confession: I haven't cast on for my Knitty Gritty socks yet and I have about 10 days to get 'em sorted. I need a set of dpns (the ONE size I lack) and wouldn't ya know it, flat on my arse like I've been, I can't exactly go pick some up now can I? No pressure there. Nope. NONE.

9 comments:

sopranospinner said...

I'm semi-local to you, I think. Can I help?

Geogrrl said...

Wrenched back--that sucks big time.

Yoga or pilates will help. My DH has a little system of mild stretching exercises from yoga that really help his back. Do you want scans or suggestins?

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

SS, thank you so much! I think I've got it mostly sorted.

I just remembered that there's a LYS near my doctor's office, so I can grab my dpns on the way home from getting happy relaxing pills for my back. Yay!

Geo, that might be good - let me see what the doc says about what he'd like me to do, but definitely, some suggestions or even just the names of hte postures would be cool. I've been doing some very light prenatal yoga stretches and that's been helpful.

LizKnits said...

sorry to hear you're down and out...
Hope the knitting will help you heal.

Lucia said...

Ouch! I send you virtual chicken soup. The yarn sounds yummy.

sopranospinner said...

Okay, but let me know if I can do anything.

Roxie said...

Prenatal yoga? The doc prescribing the relaxy pills DOES know about this, right? Heal fast. Back pain just sucks rocks!!

Geogrrl said...

I'd be happy to. I will send the names of the postures tonight or tomorrow. If there are any you can't find or figure out, let me know.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

ACK! Um. I'm doing prenatal yoga because that's the only kind I know and the book I have on yoga is from when I was pregnant 16 years ago. I'm not actually pregnant now!

*mops brow*