Tuesday, October 10, 2006

str purple rain
I need a swift and ball winder. I think I'm asking for one for Xmas for sure. I gave in to temptation a few weeks ago and acquired a skein of Socks that Rock in "Purple Rain" because, well, it had my name in it and it was gorgeous, and I wanted it. So now I am winding it. Since the mom socks got finished, I really do need a sock project to carry around with me.

str pr close
Seriously, these colors. SO gorgeous.

serrano 2nd repeat
slow but definite progress on Serrano. I'm really happy with the way this is coming along, even if I am maybe having to wing it with the waist decreases because I might have sort of done it wrong but it looks fine and the count is ok, so that's what really matters, right? Not a lot of knitting time, but I'm making it work.

I've been a stay home mama for about 10 years now and this fall I went back to work selling the premium olive oil to the masses, as I've mentioned before. This morning I have been running around getting some laundry done and tidying up the place, finishing putting the kitchen back into order, and keeping one eye on the clock because I have a closing shift today. Tomorrow is going to be the same and the day after that I work an opener until 5:30. So I'm taking things out of the freezer, planning some meals for the week in advance, making sure kids have their keys, all the while cleaning, doing laundry, making sure I eat and am medicated, all the things I've done as a stay home mom for years - but now it's in fast forward and there is no sense of being able to do it all in *my* own time - rather, I have to do it in the time I have. I stood there with the fridge door open, holding my little package of frozen chicken and the thought flashed through my mind, "Yes, well this is what most of the world does. So get used to it." and that was a good thought. Like it's not so special or novel, it's just what people have to do and I can do it too. I am just like everybody else.

There are solutions to all my problems. Not easy fixes, not happy fixes, but solutions that make it work. Whatever happens, I can make it work. The dominoes of self-crippling ideas that I've accumulated over the years are all tumbling down in my head and there is this pattern which they are forming, looks a lot like letters and they are spelling out C-A-P-A-B-L-E and I really like how it feels.

5 comments:

Lucia said...

CAPABLE would be an excellent Scrabble word. It's definitely an excellent way to feel.

I have a swift and ball winder. Just send me the STR and I'd be happy to wind it for you.

What? You want it back?? Rats.

Mouse said...

STR is such a huge skein that it completely overflows my ballwinder and makes a big ol' mess..
That color is gorgeous.. I haven't seen it yet.

Roxie said...

Capable. I want to embroider that in seven different kinds of script on a nice sampler. I want to write a poem about capability. You have ignited my brain with one word, you conflagrationist. Blessings on your day!

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Lucia, you are SO NICE. *buzzer sounds* But I'd want it back. And somehow I think that I wouldn't get it back because it would end up knit on your feet. :-P

Mouse, I hadn't seen it either. It just screamed at me in the bin one day. It was meant to be mine.

I am a conflagrationist! A capable conflagrationist, even. Shiny! That's an even better scrabble word, honestly.

Z said...

That is some kick ass yarn. Hang in there. Eventually the rush becomes second nature.