Friday, September 15, 2006

No, really, I am the OCD Fairy

Move OVER, Crazy Aunt Purl because the OCD Fairy has descended upon the LA Basin. I have got to be the most OCD, anal retentive person I've ever met ever in the history of, well... ever. Actually, I find it really reassuring that there are other knitters out there who get all excited about crazy things. It makes me feel less like a sideshow freak and more like I'm just part of a very select group.

I just spent the day with everything all over the living room floor, organizing, ziploc bagging and um... cataloging my yarn and roving stash. I am now the proud owner of a small, neatly organized index card catalog for my yarn. Except in part of my brain, I'm thinking, "SHIT. I didn't really alphabetize it. OH NOES." and this fact is stressing me out so I may have to redo it with some slight stylistic changes. We'll see.

I actually blame Dave of Criminy Jickets for this, because he had a blog post the other day about index cards for his new cast on projects and in the OCD recesses of my mind, a voice said, "DUDE. Writing stuff on CARDS! That is SO TEH COOLEST IDEA EVAR." and I remembered that I too had an unused card cataloger box thinger, new purple ink pens and some colored cards still wrapped in plastic. I too get to be one of the Cool Kids. Shiny.

The catalog, it is color coded and organized by yarn weight (this is so that when new yarn comes, one can simply enter it on the proper card found under 'worsted' or 'DK' or 'sock'). The yarns in the actual bins are now also mostly separated by color and weight, in their individual bags. It's a very precise method here, Chez Yarnpirate. Because, you know, god forbid purple merino should touch the olive corriedale and please do NOT to be putting coral Egyptian cotton next to the blue silk. Yes, the Debbie Bliss cashmerino may touch the all seasons cotton. Also not to be putting the eyelash yarn in the same bin as the Socks That Rock. That makes my left eyelid twitch.

I am SO blissfully happy. Deeply satisfied. I want a damn cigarette it was that good. It's really ridiculous how much I love organizing things. Keeping them that way, not so much, but organizing? Please yes, may I have another? I keep looking at the bins of tidily ziplocked yarn and smiling a morning after smile.

See I have this idea, this crazy idea about stashbusting (right after I place this one last Knitpicks order) and I am quite SURE that the card catalog will enable me to stashbust more easily and actually use up yarn I have rather than buying more. Except for sock yarn. Sock yarn is exempt from the stashbusting rule because it is a small indulgence. Socks is socks and random sock yarn eventually gets knit up, so you can get the odd skein here or there and is Not A Waste Of Money.

My children and Mr. Yarnpirate are all mocking me, so I suppose I should go threaten them with some pointy sticks or perhaps make dinner so they might find something constructive to do with their yaps. This concludes the Yarnpirate Is Odd portion of your day.

Why are you smiling and backing away like that? Wait. Come back. Really!

8 comments:

PBnJ said...

This was a fun post. Organizing yarn - Sounds like something I'd like to do. :)
I thought the comment about finding something constructive to do with their yaps was hilarious! :) Thanks for the snicker!

sopranospinner said...

I hate organizing, but love casting on a new project. My fingers are positively itching to start Eunny's new twisted Bavarian socks but my garage is so messed up right now I can't reach the sock yarn!! AAARGHH!! But it's better, really, that I don't...

Inky said...

If you really are the OCD Yarn Fairy you will come to my house and help me organize my yarn, which is still in a pile in the bedroom and should be in the cabinet by now.

I'm going to put a ball of handdyed laceweight under my pillow tonight and see if the Yarn Fairy showes up.

Roxie said...

Bravo! I love the idea of an OCD pirate. Pillage on, in an organized manner!

Dave said...

Dude, you can come organize my stash any day. PURPLE INK! Wowzer. 'cepting I want the alphabetical part too :-)

Does it strike you as at all strange that we're writing posts using powerful database capable electronic thingies that deal with organizing yarn on paper cards? Nah, didn't occur to me at all - LOL!

Annie said...

OMG.. is it the air or the water?? I just did the exact same thing!! My oldest son, who has been visiting, moved outa my yarn/spinning room (used to be a kids bedroom). Was looking for my Tape strapper thingie and organized the whole room in the process. Wouldn't ya know..I found the strapper as I left that room...in my husbands junk room (another kids bedroom). Sitting in plain sight by the door. Duh! Now onto the previous School room upstairs. Help

Mouse said...

I really need to organize my yarn stash.. but I'm entirely too lazy to do it. I think I'll stick some yarn under my pillow too and hope for a yarn fairy of my very own.

Jill said...

Purple ink pen and colored index cards...orgasmic!
And yes, I too organized my yarn earlier last week ... but in baskets by color scheme.