Sunday, August 20, 2006

I'm thinking that I might re-think the "thistle" merino roving I've got. I had spun up a 3 ply DK weight which I haven't been too happy with. It wasn't the right yarn for the roving. I'd initially thought I'd make a little cardi with it, but as I've been spinning, I've been thinking "No." and so the roving got set aside until I figured out what I wanted to do. But now... after my chat with Morgaine yesterday at the show... and looking at my new Bossie... my brain is going "Hmmmmmmm". There were some handspun/handknit shawls on display yesterday which were positively inspiring. I got home and the new IK was in the mail box and lo and behold, the Swallowtail Shawl is only about 475 yards of laceweight.... I could manage that much on a spindle, given enough time.

Yep. I think it's official. The thistle is being repurposed. It wants to be a shawl. It wants to be laceweight. It will be so much happier that way. Doesn't this look like it wants to be a delicate swallowtail shawl knit out of laceweight 2 ply?
thistle roving

There's something really exciting about contemplating a big pile of roving and seeing not only the yarn but having a clear vision of what you are going to turn that yarn into. Knowing it's not going to be a pile of miniskeins that you never knit up. Also? I have 2 pounds of the thistle which means I can work at laceweight, singles and 2 plying, I can mess some up and have it turn out like crap until I get the hang of it, and still have enough for a shawl. So it's really a fortuitous thing.

No comments: