Sunday, July 09, 2006

I am very not in love with the majority of the patterns in the Fall IK preview. Which goes to prove my theory that I'm really just a fan of their spring/summer issues in general. However, now that I have a subscription, I really have no choice. I guess the winter/fall issues I can just say, "Oh well, I only read it for the articles." :-P

I personally prefer fairly classic, simple lines a la 1930s/1940's. I love, ADORE, fitted jackets with a little flare at the bottom, I like things that skim the figure and don't clutter it up. I don't like big bulky things that totally obscure the body. So this issue of IK, not thrilling me, because, well, just. No. It is not ALL crap. I should say that. I do like the Breton Jacket. I like Glasgow Lace (though I'd make it an inch or three longer and add some shaping to the waist just to nip it in), and I like the Gatsby Girl Pullover. I also actually really like the boxy looking Bianca's Jacket, because I think it'd go well over a fitted black dress or something for an evening out. And yeah, I'd knit all of it in black, natch. Love the Swallowtail shawl. And that's it. Please to remove the rest of the patterns from my sight.

Please. No more heavy, boxy, ending at the top of my ass/widest part of my hips sweaters made of yarn I can't afford. What's with big boxy pockets cluttering up the line on that Coral sweater? WHY??? And for FUCKS SAKE, the Wanderlust hoodie could have been suBLIME, but you ruined it. Stop with the BOBBLES, okay? Bobbles are NOT the new black. Bobbles are sick and wrong. Bobbles are ugly ass, cluttering up the line, annoying to knit little daggy things that PISS. ME. OFF.

That's the other thing. Yarn substitution, oh my GOD. The Glasgow Lace pattern calls for 100% cashmere at $40+ a skein. Well yes thanks, I'd love some, but honestly, I also need to eat. Please, Interweave editors and designers, remember that real people knit your patterns and we have day jobs (or no job and are living on one income) and pick your yarns accordingly. I don't want cheap acrylic crap and I can't afford the yarn you dangle in front of me. Please find the middle path. It worked for the Buddha. It is good enough for me.

9 comments:

rincaro said...

Bobbles remind me of skintags. Ewwww!

Knitty Cat said...

The middle path is excelent. I love the middle path. Who's picking out the yarn!?

Geogrrl said...

Man, I KNOW what you mean about patterns. You and I have similar wants when it comes to pattern designs. I prefer simple with some shaping so that it's flattering. My biggest peeve with my waist-hip difference (11") is why, why, oh why on a hip-length garment do they put ribbing? It ALWAYS rides up to my waist.

I've come to the conclusion that most pattern designers don't bother with "dressmaking details" for two reasons. One, it's a pain in the arse for them to design, especially for several sizes. Two, their audience is made up of people who demand "simple" (never mind that it looks like hell on a real body). The simplest is basic squares for the front and back, drop shoulders (no armhole shaping) and little shaping for the neck. Such designs also allow for elaborate colourwork and patterns because the designers don't have to worry about shaping.

I have found some nice patterns on the Garnstudios Drops pages. Garnstudios have translated a number of patterns (free!) to English. Garnstudios styles are a nice combination of classic and modern. While there are several boxy numbers, and some where you think, "Why?" there are also some great body-hugging/body-skimming numbers with waist shaping and proper set in sleeves. Take and afternoon and flip through the pages. All patterns provide a photo and a schematic and go from small to XL or XXL. Their yarns are gorgeous, too. Oh, and I figured out if a garment goes below the waist, the schematic may not show all of that--just that the waist nips in. If you check the directions, you'll see you start lower then decrease for the waist.

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/kategori_oversikt.php

These are a couple I really like:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=69&d_id=14&lang=us
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=74&d_id=7&lang=us
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=77&d_id=19&lang=us
http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=51&d_id=14&lang=us

Jen Z said...

This cracks me up! Especially the last three sentences. :)

Lucia said...

I used to subscribe to IK, VK, and Knitter's, and I blew them all off about six months ago -- I just wasn't seeing anything I liked or even anything I would like if I tweaked it a bit.

I personally like clothes to cover my butt, all puns intended. I am, shall we say, non-petite in that area, and I also get cold easily and live in New England, so I don't like things to stop at the waist. To each her own.

It is an unfortunate fact of life that knitting mags exist in part to sell yarn. They have to sell ads to stay in business, after all, and to sell the ads it helps to have patterns that use the yarn. On at least one blog I've seen this derided and decried as some Evil Corporate Conspiracy, but I really don't think that's it, it's just the economic nature of things. That said, it would be nice if they could recommend a substitute yarn or two for those of us who can't afford cashmere. I suppose if they give the gauge you could substitute on your own.

sopranospinner said...

I have only recently started subscribing to IK, as I ALWAYS buy it and I figured it was a good birthday present. I got Spin-Off, too. But I hardly ever buy Vogue or Knitter's anymore, as their design aesthetic and mine, well, do not match very well.

I can NEVER use the yarns they specify, though, I'm too low budget for just about anything. My test is, can I knit this from anything at Knitpicks? But I do like the photos in the preview, so I think I will be happy. Too many things in the queue right now to knit them yet, though. Someday I'm taking a year off gift knitting, I swear, and doing whatever strikes my fancy! I do like the gift knitting and have a baby sweater that is SO cute to give to a one month old that just needs the buttons put on and a phone call made to stop by. Maybe this week...before the baby graduates from high school!

Have a lovely day!

sopranospinner said...

And I meant to say earlier that I also loathe bobbles. Could the hoodie be done without the bobbles, 'cause I think it's really nice, too!

dan said...

Hey? Did you catch the new Project Runway? Was curious what you thought of the new cast.

sopranospinner said...

It was certainly fun! I actually sat through a bunch of reruns off and on all day to gear up as well. I think the new cast will be just as entertaining as the others have been (I love the show). But who will they kick off for bad behavior? DH and I were speculating on who we thought could actually do something naughty on purpose. I think the guy who won last night could but it will be a matter for much speculation this week...