Friday, June 09, 2006

autrysock
The sock, the Em and I all converged upon the Autry Museum today for a little American history. We enjoyed the exhibits (there was a yarn winder in one a them thar cases) very much, in particular the items that had the most to do with day to day life. I love looking at the old clothing and artifacts of regular life. Women's history, in that context, really fascinates me.

The one thing that bugs me about the Autry is that it really glosses over the destruction of Native American culture and focuses on westward expansion in an entirely positive light. Not shocking, it's a cowboy museum, but still. A little more objectivity in my history, kplsthxbye. There was minimal attention given to Mexican culture as pertains to the West and also Chinese culture in the West. I wanted more of those things. All in all, I did enjoy it, it's not horribly expensive and is a good way to kill an afternoon. I could have done without the LAUSD school tours and the traffic on the 5, but otherwise, good day.

sp8pkg
I came home and there was a package from my SP8 waiting for me! Thanks Secret Pal! What a wonderful thing, I love it all! That's two beautiful skeins of Lorna's Laces shepherd sport, the Nancy Bush book I've been wanting SO bad, a tub of hand cream, a magnet and some Rosie the Riveter kleenex! That part made me laugh because....

rosiekitchen
Rosie is a fixture in my kitchen!

No comments: