Friday, May 05, 2006

SP8 Questions

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I prefer natural fibers like wool, cotton, silk and alpaca. I aDORE Knitpics versions of these! Knitpicks is great yarn. I love it and do a lot of lace and other stuff in their yarn. The area I tend to splurge on is sock yarn and my absolute faves are Socks that Rock, Bearfoot and Lorna's Laces. They're a little treat to myself. I really loathe acrylics, boucle or chenille yarns, novelty yarns, LB Homespun.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? A plastic bin for circs/dpns, pretty vase to display wood/bamboo straights.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? A year and a half. I'm an intermediate knitter overall I'd guess, but there are things I'm very good at (like lace or socks) and things I'm a rank beginner at (garment construction, sweaters, etc.)

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, I have lists on both Amazon and Knitpicks.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Spice/food smells like, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, lemon. I also like lavender and neroli a lot for florals but am not fond of excessively sweet florals.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Aztec chocolate from Dagoba. Also, Naga Bars from Vosges.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I spin with a drop spindle. I also do paper crafts and pottery.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I listen to a lot of swirly girly goth, celtic (both trad and modern), middle eastern, and bollywood. The boys call it "ethno gypsy goth"

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I like rich jewel tones, black, celadon greens and neutrals. I HATE pastels and neons.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Two kids, dog, two cats.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Not so much with scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos. Bundling up is not really a need here.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Socks. Lace. Shawls. I will get to big sweaters one day.

13. What are you knitting right now? Socks! A lace wrap. A baby sweater.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I always appreciate the craftsmanship and time of the artist.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? It depends on the project but overall I prefer wood and bamboo, will not use plastic.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? no

17. How did you learn to knit? self taught

18. How old is your oldest UFO? Maybe 6 months old.

19. What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving.

20. Is there anything that you collect? Tiny rabbits from a potter in VT, sturdy Japanese stoneware teacups.

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? No mag subscriptions, but I'm a faithful IK reader and get it from my LYS. The books I am planning to buy next are, Nancy Bush's Vintage Socks book and all the Barbara Walker stitch treasuries. I'd like to get the Ribbi Cardi pattern from Chic knits. There's a ton of knitting books on my Amazon list, but really, the Bush and Walker books mentioned are next on the list to collect.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I'd like to improve my finishing techniques, there are a few sockmaking techniques I'd like to try (afterthought heel, etc.) and I'd like to improve my lace skills some more.

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes! I love knitting socks!

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)12/30

1 comment:

Z said...

I am ALL jealous about this SP8 thing. I'm just sayin'.