Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I'm feeling a little frustrated at the moment. See, I want to turn this: handpaint for boobholder
into this.bv

My problem is this: "Gauge of body: 13 sts/21 rows  in 10 cm" which I am not getting.

The pattern calls for a worsted weight or slightly heavier yarn on #9 needles. I am using a worsted weight yarn, similar in gauge to Cascade 220. On #9 needles. And I am getting something like 21-22 stitches to 4 inches. Okay, I am WAY off. And using a #10 needle gives me just this nasty ass gappy fabric that I hate. According to the Yarn Council of America's little chart thinger yarn knit on those needles at that gauge (13:4") is "chunky". And this yarn is NOT chunky. No way. No how.

I hate swatching. I hate fiddling. I want to cast on and make this sweater in THIS yarn and reality is not letting me.

Glampyre LIES. Well, no, she said "or slightly heavier" but still. Chunky is a lot heavier than worsted.

The honest truth is, I lack the skillset to adapt the pattern I want to knit to the yarn that I have.

Eating several homemade Trader Joe's truffle brownies in rapid succession has not provided me with a solution to my problem. I might have to do math. Perish the idea. I don't even know where to start.

In fact? Bugger that noise. I'll get some damn "chunky" yarn and make the sweater in that. But that leaves me with unknown yardage in worsted weight handpaint merino wool blendy goodness. Not enough to make a full size sweater, just enough (I hope, see "unknown yardage") for a mini cardi, and no mini cardi pattern to knit. And I really want a mini card in THIS yarn.

5 comments:

Jill said...

When I used to work a lot on the computer, in contrast to just blogging, I would "prep" myself by eating chocolate. Somehow chocolate made me understand things better. :) Luckily chocolate doesn't do that for understanding relationships, or else I would be obese.

meg said...

This might be crazy, but is it possible that's a typo in the pattern? Like, it's 21 stitches and 13 rows instead? Just a thought, because the pictures do not look like anything knit at 3.25 st. to the inch to me. Maybe there's an errata page somewhere?

Lucia said...

It is awful pretty yarn. Do you have The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and/or TKHBO Sweater P? They are what you need for this kind of issue. (Sometimes I am willing to futz with math, and sometimes not.)

Or there might be a mistake in the pattern. 13 sts to 4 inches is not very many. (She said helpfully.)

Geogrrl said...

I change patterns all the time (I almost never use the yarn requested) to adjust for differences in gauge.

I was going to offer to help you with the pattern, but I see by the later post that you've solved your own problem.

If you do want to adjust it, give me YOUR row and stitch gauge in that yarn. By that I mean, create a swatch in that yarn where the resulting fabric makes you happy. Once I have that and the pattern, I can adjust it.

Knitty Cat said...

I've got a similar problem. I know the yardage, but I never have quite enough yarn for the progect. oy. Love the yarn though! Lovely stuff.
Oh, and I thought you should know, your side-bar with your picture and all that pops to the bottom of the page every time. What's up with that?