Monday, May 08, 2006

I have to confess to some serious envy for those who were lucky enough to get to MDS&W this weekend. It gets worse with every blog post flashing fiber at the less fortunate. "Oh look and see what I hauled home. Nyah." HMPH. That's what I have to say. Just, hmph.

NO fiber at faire this year for sale. My favorite yarn vendor is no esta aqui. Actually a large number of the vendors I regularly hit were not in Devore this year. For a girl who cut her teeth on Black Pointe Faire in the late 80's/early 90's, the current CA "big" faires are disappointing indeed. They were pushing CHURROS at people, ffs. There was a pizza stand. Frozen Monkey Tails. However, thanks to a fortuitous conversation about how much the big faires blow donkeys for wooden nickels have deteriorated in recent years, I managed to find PIRATES. Yes, that's right, I'm running away to play with pirates. Who knew? Pirates in So Cal doing Important Piratical Things.

I am wondering if knitting socks is a sufficient skill to get me into a pirate crew. About the only other piratey things I can do really well are swill grog and sing shanties very loudly and enthusiastically. If the opportunity presented itself, I would be happy to whallop someone over the head with the butt of my reproduction pistol and steal their yarn (if it were merino, cashmere or a sufficiently interesting natural fiber), but again, not sure that's really enough to ace the audition. We'll have to see how it goes.

I've heard that while plundering and pillaging (first you pillage, THEN you burn) you're supposed to spare the women and kill the sheep, but honestly (and not for the reason that some might think), I have to say that it would depend on the sheep.

Perhaps you MDS&W Fest goers had best stay out of port for a while. Yarrrrrrr.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Yeah, I missed it too, but I was in NYC for my sister (the rapper)'s graduation, which was oodles of fun. I was, however, flown to MD a week and a half before the festival at my company's expense for a long and tiring meeting. Oh, well. Maybe next year I can convince my boss to schedule a meeting the Thursday of the festival...

Ina said...

Oh, you didn't miss much. There were yarn riots at The Fold and Koigu booths. When it comes to pillaging, pirates got nothing on over-excited suburban moms. By the time I got there, the yarrrn was gone.

Z said...

Well, y'all just mizzen up the mast and sail yo'selfs on over next year and we'll stay at my Dad's and go. It will be fun. We'll drink and pillage and do piratey things and have a serious (and I mean SERIOUS fibre crawl)...really!