Saturday, May 13, 2006

2 lbs of Ashland merino roving in Thistle (fifth column over, on the bottom) somehow mugged me today while I was at the LYS scouting out Secret Pal ideas. So did a back issue of Interweave Knits that I've been wanting, the one with the Juliet sweater and Madli shawl. I don't normally do pastels but damn, this roving is SO stunning and since I'm planning to navajo ply it I think I'll get a kind of tweedy look rather than cotton candy.

The women at A Mano Yarn Center are evil. They've hopped up their inventory full of all manner of goodies. There's knitting themed jewelry, gorgeous sterling stitch markers, the usual needle holders, bags, needles, hooks, every possible knitting notion you could think of, spinning stuff and then WALLS AND WALLS of yarn. And more books than ever before. I wasn't sure it was *possible* to make it even more difficult to walk through, but they have. Fortunately for me, they were really low on my favorite sock yarns. Otherwise I'd have been in deep trouble. Bad enough with all the roving.

If you're in the Los Angeles area? You totally need to check them out.

Also of interest to Southern California spinners and fiber lovers:

"Stick and Stone Fiberarts!
Located at the corner of Victory and Sepulveda in Van Nuys. The store will open at our Grand Opening on May 28th. We will carry spinning wheels, spinning equipment, fibers, yarns, knitting supplies, and weaving equipment. We will also have a wheel rental program, and classes.

About our name: The name Stick and Stone comes from the simplest elements for spinning fiber, a stick shaft and a stone whorl to make a spindle."


I'm toast.

1 comment:

A Mano Crew said...

Thank you for the super kind totally unsolicited words about our little shop! Just wanted to also let you know that we've just started out own little blog at http://amanoyarn.typepad.com. Stop by and say hello and email me if you want to be on our list of a mano bloggers :-). Oh, and we're still waiting for our new socks that rock shipment. I remain hopeful that it will arrive any day now.