Monday, March 20, 2006

All right, I confess. I'm having a really, really hard time sticking to my yarn budget right now. I went a little bit overboard last week on sock yarn at A Mano Yarn Center which is my favorite LYS. Two smaller skeins of Ruby Slippers accompanied me home, another skein of Beryl, a new set of dpns (because dammit, I lose them incessantly), plus a skein of Trekking XXL in a pinky sort of colorway and also a couple of books. Basically, two months of fiber budget, gone in one twenty minute trip down the A Mano sock yarn aisle. I can't fit it all into the sock yarn bin. I need to stop. I have to admit that I am powerless over sock yarn. I am HIDING SKEINS OF SOCK YARN so that I don't have to explain their presence to my husband who thinks that maybe (he is wrong) I have ENOUGH sock yarn (he doesn't understand) and who gets cranky when I "borrow" money from maybe the electric bill to buy more. He may have a point that if I am robbing Peter to pay Paul for yarn, it's a little out of control. Plus, it has been mentioned that I can't knit in the dark, so the electric bill really ought to be a priority.

Today I filled up my electronic shopping cart with sock yarn from Fleece Artist, Lisa Souza and Knitpicks. Then I emptied them and put the laptop down. I felt really good. I didn't give in. Later on, while checking email, I put some laceweight and just one skein of sock yarn from Lisa Souza into my cart. Wild Thing. Jonquil. Garnet. OMGWTF the colors they are so insane and I love them. Rinse. Repeat. I felt pretty good. I didn't give in. After reading Bloglines, I filled up a couple of Paypal shopping carts full of roving from Spunky Eclectic and Chameleon Colorworks. Oh god the Indian Wedding and Peace Rose colorways are CALLING TO ME. I want to surround myself with colors and fiber.

Rinse. Again. Repeat. Ad nauseum. Bless my heart for I am weak.

So far today I have done a lot of shopping for shiny things but I haven't bought a thing. It's really hard. I'm struggling. Because I know that the money is not there and it really will be the electric bill if I cave.

I've resolved to finish the second embossed leaf sock today and maybe wind up some of the Ruby Slippers, get cracking on Cam's WHWIR socks now that I've removed the Bearfoot from Yarn Gulag. I've resolved that I'm not going to buy a thing until the 15th of next month, no matter how loud the colors call.

Does anyone else just go temporarily insane around fiber or is it just me? Or is that a stupid question and maybe we all go temporarily insane which is why the word "stash" was invented, to explain it a little? Am I the only one who ever thinks, "Oh gosh, gee, well you know we really don't need to eat vegetables this month. I really want to buy that merino laceweight. Plus, I'm sure the children won't mind not having heat. We can all wear sweaters."

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

6 comments:

Lucia said...

Thank you so much for posting the link to Lisa Souza, because I really really needed to know about yet another to-die-for sock yarn. NO, you are not alone, scurvy wench!

Ragnar said...

That's funny because I just had a discussion with my signifigant half about my stash. He seems to think I have more yarn that I know what to do with, and in fact I know exactly what I'm going to do with all of the yarn that I have. I'm going to dye some of it, and I'm going to knit all of it. Silly silly man.

I sympathize though. I've found that I'm much more in control if I limit myself to buying fiber (it takes up more space) and spinning all of my impulse yarn. Then I save my non-impulse buying for the LYS where I have to have the pattern in hand while I'm shopping. It's not a perfect system, but it's better than no system at all. Plus all that spinning means I have less time for knitting, means I buy less yarn...right. Don't mind me I'm just caught in my own little mental loop.

Jill said...

I suppose this is a bad time to mention that elann.com has some new sock yarn?

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

BK. AUUUUUUGH. Not. Helping. At. All. Kthx. :-PPP

Geogrrl said...

I sympathize totally--you can get some great bargains on E-Bay, but it's also hard to resist going hog wild.

A cheap way to satisfying the fiber/colour craving--with a little work--is the thrift store. Among the boring stuff, you can find knitted sweaters in lovely colours and fibers. Just check the seams to make sure they're fully fashioned. Many sweaters are made of yarn fine enough for socks. I'm currently knitting a magenta silk/mohair blend that I recycled from a hideous sweater (great yarn, fugly sweater). It took me about 6 hours total to take the sweater apart and unravel the whole thing. Below is a URL for a site that gives advice on recycling yarn.

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/thrifty.html

Z said...

Why did you show me that? Why???? WHYYYYYYY????? Oh my GOD they're beautiful. All of it. I want it but I cannot have it. Oh well. I can look right. Every day. Make it my screen saver :)