Sunday, February 26, 2006

Spent the evening sorting out a dropped stitch that laddered down in a cable section on the trekking sock (#2) and spent a good deal of today swatching for Rogue. Of course, after swatching, I have decided that I don't particularly want to knit Rogue in the yarn I purchased for it. BWAH! S'okay, it's great yarn, I'll use it in something I'm sure.

LA being a very temperate climate, I think it'd be a little too warm, plus I honestly think the Merino Style would make me nutty in a hoodie, it's thick and a little itchy. I don't want it in a garment that I'd have next to my neck and skin. After swatching the yarn up, I also definitely think I'd prefer a more heathered or tweedy yarn for Rogue - the moss green color I selected kind of makes me worry about looking like a big ole Celtic elfy thing. It'd be okay in black. Just not the green.

Am spot on with that Merino Style gauge swatch for the Go Everywhere/Go With Everything cardi from SnB Nation, so there's a thought, anyway. BPT is also looking interesting. We'll see.

Mostly it was just nice to knit today and not stress about finishing anything.

I was sad to see that Octavia Butler died. She's a talented and skilled writer. Parable Of The Sower is one of my favorite books. Hey, speaking of books, I discovered this great site, Library Thing which is proving rather useful. Well, okay, it's shiny, anyhow.

4 comments:

Ragnar said...

Library thing...very addictive.

Check out Rowan's "cotton/wool" for Rogue, it's not itchy at all and the cotton content means that it will breathe a little bit in your temperate LA clime.

Jill said...

I am absolutely speechless regarding Octavia Butler! I just scored a free bookcase/cabinet last night - and couldn't wait to prominantly display "The Parable of the Talents" *my favorite book* on it!

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Ragnar, thank you that looks like a fab yarn option for this climate. After knitting up the merino style, even though it is ostensibly DK weight, a hoodie would be too much.

BellaK, yeah, I'm so sad. I haven't read Parable of the Talents yet but the precursor, Parable of the Sower is one of my top 5 favorite books in that genre. It's a real loss to the SF community. She was a skilled writer, a wordsmith, her stuff was always top notch in a sea of mediocrity.

Ina said...

Ohhhh, I'd not heard about Octavia Butler. [Very sad now] I enjoyed Parable of the Sower and was planning to read Fledgling (which has Inas in it) next.

Good luck with Rogue! Although not heathered or tweedy, Rowan Calmer might work.