Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Neverending Sock Syndrome

Do you wake up tired in the morning? Endure sore hands and stiff fingers? Knit endlessly and get nothing done? Watch yarn go in and nothing come out? You may be suffering from Neverending Sock Syndrome, or NSS."

Okay I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I'm pretty sure if I ask my doctor what pill is right for me, it'll come with a hot chick and a puppy.

Anyway. The point. I took a break from the tiny sleeve to try to get a little more done on my sock today. I swear, it is the sock that never ends. I keep knitting and it is not growing. Why? I do not understand this. The stitches go in, the sock does not grow. A mystery, I do declare. So I was sitting at Em's Scottish Country Dance class this evening, gamely putting in pointless rounds on the sock and a very nice older lady asked me how the sock was coming - she'd asked me about it THREE WEEKS AGO. Has it grown in that time? I don't think so. I sadly held it up and showed it to her. "Never ending." I said.

"Yes, but, lovely workmanship," she said back.

Made my day.

"Lovely workmanship."

A cure for what ails you, I do declare. I don't think I need to talk to my doctor about a pill after all.

5 comments:

Z said...

What size dpns are you using? -5? Bwahahahahaha! That's a great compliment though :) But I always knew it about you :)

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Hahaha! No, I'm using #1's. Which are about the smallest I can use, since I refuse to use metal or plastic DPNs and I invariably snap the size #0s (refer to Cam's Cursed Sock if ya don't believe me, I went through 5 pairs of #0 dpns before I gave up.) if they're in bamboo or wood.

I think it's more that, I save socks primarily for 'outside projects', that is, I really only knit on them when I'm out in the world, at a dance class waiting on kids, sitting at the dog park trying to protect my yarn from a drooly Boxer, in line at the post awful, whatever. I knit on larger or more complicated projects at home. So they do go slowly!

Ragnar said...

You should try the double needle sock technique and go for broke on the turbos. It goes much faster, and you don't get the weird gappy stitches when you switch needles...but you probably don't get those anyway, Ms. Lovely Workmanship. Plus the needles don't break, and you don't accidentally pull the needles out of your sock when you are taking it in and out of your bag.

Er...sorry, I know I'm preaching, but you know how it is when you find a technique that you love.

Atla said...

Yarn Harlot calls this the "black hole" portion of the project.

Z said...

I wish I could figure out how to knit on a treadmill although I bet I COULD do it on a recumbant bike!