Thursday, February 16, 2006

rosebud

Hey it's a back and left front!

I think this is quite possibly the coolest thing ever, following this pattern and watching tiny sweater bits take shape in my hands. I got a little confused about the neck shaping tonight (mostly on whether to start on the WS or RS) but I sat down and reread the pattern, eyeballed the shape of what I wanted vs. what was on the needles and ended up making the right choice as to which direction to start from. Maybe not rocket science, no, but it felt good to figure it out and not have to ask or go to the LYS and ask a sweater knitter to show me. I did it myself and I now have a gently shaped, perfect little neckline. One right front and two sleeves to go and then we sew. I can do this! I am very excited to make a MY right sized sweater after this. Now I have a clue as to how it comes together, which was the whole point of knitting this little baby sweater in the first place.

My tension is improving on those purl rows and I'm getting a much more consistent tension and nicer fabric now. The right front piece is noticeably smoother and better than the back piece. It is very satisfying to feel like I'm learning something from this experience, that it's not just busy work or yet another garter stitch scarf. This here project is ultimately going to make me a better knitter.

Of course, I look at my little one color baby sweater and then I look at y'all making things like Greek mittens, wicked complex intarsia and Orenberg lace and that's when I start to feel like the village idiot again, but hey, ya know? It's a learning curve, and I'm at least moving forward on it.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Very cool! I've found that whenever there's instructions on "reverse shaping" - just cast on opposite than you did for the first side.

Z said...

I am so excited it's coming together...now remember, tonight is The Heel Event. I think I will do okay...not nervous, feeling loose...oh yeah, baby, Feel the Rhythm, Feel the Rhyme, Get on Up, It's Heel Knittin' Time!!!!

Ragnar said...

I remember my first sweater, it's a knitting milestone after which you'll never have to knit a crappy garter stitch scarf again (unless you want to...).

If you need help with finishing instructions check out http://www.domiknitrix.com/howtos/mattress_stitch.cfm first of all she calls her self the domiKNITrix which is super cool, but it's also a great tutorial on the mattress stitch, which should be all you need to put wee sweater together.

Again...awesome! Truly an olympic experience.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Thanks, BK! I'd noticed that with the right front, but I'm glad its' written out anyways and I don't have to figure it out *grin*

Z, I am so rooting for you in the Heel Event.

Ragnar, thanks :-) I'm feeling so good about this one, I went and ordered some Knitipcks merino style and bought Rogue from Girl from Auntie. I know it's quite a leap but her patterns are beautifully written, and she gives great support. Yay sweaters! Now, the only problem here is, I live in LA where we wear sweaters about one day out of hte year. :-P

Atla said...

"Of course, I look at my little one color baby sweater and then I look at y'all making things like Greek mittens, wicked complex intarsia and Orenberg lace and that's when I start to feel like the village idiot again...


That's one of the reasons I decided I wouldn't be doing the HP scarf for the olympics, regardless of how much patience it would take to do that much stockinette in 16 days.