Sunday, January 29, 2006

Two pounds of merino roving from Beaverslide Dry Goods have landed on my front porch and I am scratching my head and thinking... "Hmmmmm."

Not so personally crazy about the thimbleberry color which is a teensy bit more on the coral/orange side than I thought it would be. Based on the pics, I was expecting more of a rose. Don't get me wrong it's a lovely color, it's just not one I'd personally wear. I think it'll spin up into something dandy but not really for me, ultimately. I am forseeing that this roving has a brilliant future as lovely gifts, possibly as spun yarn, knitted goods or to make spindle enabled friends happy. I may try overdying some of it. I *am* completely in love with the Mountain Twilight dyelot, of which I have a whole luscious pound. I'm thinkin, this needs to be spun up and plied into something resembling a DK weight yarn and then THAT needs to be knitted into a luscious and cuddly hoodie which I have every intention of keeping all to myself.

I guess the only complaint I have is that the fiber is not neat and combed out like other rovings I've purchased. It's fluffy and crumply instead of all the fibers lying in one neat direction. There's vegetable matter in there too. I believe that it wants for carding, and to that end, now I have to either buy or borrow some carding implements. I don't believe the vendor misrepresented herself or anything, it's just that anytime I've ever bought something labeled "roving" it came already carded, in a great lovely batt and perfectly ready to spin. I had expectations that this would be the same. I'm thinking that it is going to be lovely when I do get it prepped, though. I have so much yet to learn and prepping my own fiber, even if it's just this last step, is a good place to start.

$16 per pound. 90% merino 10% mohair. Yum. Good deal.

I have a lot of fiber. I am not allowed to buy ANY MORE. For a while. The madness must (temporarily) end.

No comments: