Saturday, January 07, 2006

SP 7 question thinger

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?

Yarn snob. But I and am not averse to cheap snobby yarn. For example, Knitpicks has some pretty darn shiny yarns.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I spin, knit and crochet, but I really don't crochet that much. Sometimes borders and embellishments. Baby blankets. Otherwise, I'm more into my pointy sticks.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

Vase on the table.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I've been knitting for a bit over a year, I would definitely say that I am an intermediate knitter overall as there are still plenty of things I haven't done yet, like garment construction, sweaters, fair isle, etc. What I know how to do, I can do very well in an advanced sort of way because I work at techniques until I master them. What I haven't learned yet, obviously I'm a rank beginner.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I have lists at Knitpicks, Amazon and Two Swans Yarn which I will happily divulge to my SP via email, as finding them requires information I'd rather not post here on my blog.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

It really depends. I'm allergic to a lot of scents. I like Lush bath things over any others. They use natural scents and don't seem to set me off into sneezing or cause me to come over in a rash which most commercial bath preparations do.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

YES! I am particularly fond of Vosges Naga or Red Fire bars and Dagoba Xocolatl bars. I like ginger, too. NOTE: if you want to send me chocolate or candy, please do not send me anything with nuts in it. I am allergic. Thank you!

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I've done most of 'em and use those skills when needful. I like stamping, paper, mixed media, beading, other needle crafts like embroidery (but not cross stitch).

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Swirly girly gothic, industrial, blues, folk, celtic. I'm very diverse as far as my musical tastes. My computer can indeed play mp3s and I have an ipod which I use frequently now.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I prefer black overall for garments. I also love rich saturated colors, deep blues, burgundies, reds, greens. Think jewel tones. I even like some earth tones though more for home decor there. I abhor yellow, flourescent colors, minty colors.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Kids, pets, all of it. Yep. I have some of each.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

No, I live in Southern CA so generally speaking hats, mittens and scarves are not necessary. I do like lacy scarves in light fibers.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Wow. Well, for socks I absolutely prefer Lorna's Laces, Koigu and now Trekking XXL. Those are hands down my favorites. I love Lorna's yarns in general. I recently fell in love with Elegance from Knitpicks, and am just looking around for a nice sweater pattern to knit with some. I love Manos Stria cotton yarn.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Acrylic, nylon (some nylon content in sock yarn is ok) anything plastic. I have not had much luck knitting things like mohair or Kid Silk Haze and in fact, that one has made me say some shocking bad words and I'm not sure I'm really a fluffy knittin' kind of girl.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Socks. Socks. Socks!

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Er. Socks. Followed by lace.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Um. Well. Socks. Actually.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

Sure, just not knitted santa toilet seat covers, you know? Or "Presidents Of The United States" bedspreads done in cross stitch.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

It really depends on the project, but I do tend to use circs more often than straights.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Bamboo and wood. I won't use metal or plastic. It's too slippy.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

Nah, my "swift" is usually one of the kids and my winder is me.

22. How did you learn to knit?

Self taught, off the internet and out of some books. I'm still teaching myself. It's an ongoing process.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

well, carbon dating being what it is these days... probably about a year old.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

Totoro

25. What is your favorite holiday?

totally depends on the holiday, actually. There are points I enjoy about all of them.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

asian tea cups (Japanese style), yixing and tetsubin teapots, tiny little ceramic bunnies from this particular potter in Vermont - but honestly, I've got so much STUFF that I really don't aggressively collect anything. It's like, if I see a nice cup or a yixing pot, if my friend Ratboy sends me one of the bunnies I am very happy to get it, but I don't go out looking. Because stuff breeds.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

None. I really only like Interweave Knits and I get that at my LYS to support the business.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I'm interested in the Barbara Walker stitch treasuries, I haven't got any and they're next on the list of books to invest in. There's also two books by Ann Budd that I want, The Knitter's Handy Book Of Patterns and The Knitters Handy Book Of Sweater Patterns. Primarily I like books that are not just a collection of patterns but are more oriented towards teaching me to make my own things.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I've been teaching myself cabling lately and I'd like to learn to knit sweaters so I imagine that'd be pretty heavy on the construction and finishing techniques.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Oh my yes I am and will divulge flipper measurements if truly desired.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

12/30. I just turned 36. See, this is the thing about my birthday. When I was in school, it came during break. Now it comes between SP rounds. It is something that us holiday babies learn to live with!

No comments: