Sunday, January 01, 2006

I've mentioned before that we have had an extra teenager living with us off and on due to issues at home. Well today he officially took up what looks to be a potentially long term residency on our sofa, because his mother rented out his bedroom to someone else. She did not provide accomodations for her own child, or come up with a solution, rather, waved her hand and said "oh we'll figure something out." and went out salsa dancing for the night. We have a very unhappy boy on our hands. I don't blame him. So I guess we'll see how it all pans out with time. I admit to being a mite baffled by his parental unit, who seems to lack any maternal instinct whatsoever. Being somewhat attached to my own two offspring, it makes little sense to me.

I ripped back the koigu sock yet again. The husband stared at me in horror while I did this. "I didn't like it." I said, as I recast on the toe for a fourth time. "You are never going to get a sock at this rate." he said. "Yes dear, but it's the process, not the product." I assured him. "I think you might want to get a product eventually." he muttered. Honestly, I think he's right, but I'll never admit it. If I don't like this version, I'm balling up the koigu and starting over with something new.

Last night was rather shiny with Chinese food, some very nice Italian "soft" sparkly wine (we saved the Moet for another occasion), cookies and tea. Our wonderful neighbors set up out in front of our building, played oompah music on the car speakers, set off fireworks, screamed, yelled and drank beer until about 2am or so. This morning we (sleepily) sliced into a fresh apple pie and some pannetone for breakfast and considered putting on a little Yma Sumac in front of THEIR windows. Lacking comparable car speakers, we refrained. The little one has gone off to her riding work-study session in the rain (informing me that horses need care even when it is wet) and I'll have cocoa and hot buttered toast waiting for her upon her arrival home. The holidays are lovely for food. The weeks after the holidays are not so lovely for food, because that is when I go back to salads, low fat things and carefully rationed cookies at tea time.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Ye gads. Rented out his bedroom???? The poor kid.

Bummer about the suck. Um, well, lessee - you're definitely getting your money's worth from that yarn, knitting it over and over again?