Friday, December 16, 2005

Tis the season... fa la la la la la I hate malls...

There is some squealing happy love for the new Interweave Knits going on at my house, boy howdy is there ever. The Pearl Buck Swing Jacket by Kate Gilbert and Annie Modestitt's Bi-color Cables. I am SO making these, though substituting Knit Picks yarn if I can figure out which ones will work instead of Gems Opal. Am fairly sure the Merino Style will work instead of Jaeger Style on Pearl Buck, but I have to do some swatchy goodness. There's one or two other patterns I really like in this one, the cardigan by Teva Durham in particular is sitting in teh back of my brain and begging to be knitted.

Have taken advantage of a small holiday windfall to do juuuuust a leeetle yarn shopping. 3 gorgeous skeins of Koigu came home with me today from Wildfibers and will become socks. I picked 3 separate but closely complimentary colorways. Should be purty. Also replenished the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock stash. I am such a sucker for sock yarn. I am DYING to get some Trekking XXL but have not found any in my LYSs and will probably have to just bite the bullet and order online. And then I think that's it for yarn acquisition for a while, though I have been told by a certain boi that there may be a birthday yarn crawl in approximately 14 days and I have also been told that during this yarn crawl I can get WHATEVER I WANT (to a point) and to that I say.... BRING IT ON. Yo. Because if anything will take the sting out of turning 36? It'll be yarn.

Btw, wtf, omg? I am going to be 36 in FOURTEEN DAYS and I look kinda like my fourteen year old daughter around the chin area with the worst breakout evar and to this I say, phooey. Is there a point in my adult life where I will not have teenage skin? Just asking. Would like to know. Kthxbye.

WTF is it with catalogs? Ok, holiday season, I retract this stupid question. I got the new TeaSource catalog today and I am so pleased to see that they are carrying a lot of stuff from the Ambootia Estate which is very keen on organic, biodynamic tea production and which treats the estate families who work the farm very, very well. This is not certified fair trade tea but the workers who live and work on these plantations are paid at least fair trade wages and there is excellent support for their families, medical benefits, educational benefits, all that. Not to mention, they're not being poisoned with pesticides in their food and water. Yay TeaSource for supporting fairly traded teas and buying from plantations that treat their workers ethically. Seeing as how I am due to replenish the tea cupboard, I'll be choosing a few selections from Bill's catalog and voting with my dollars, all in favor, two lumps and a little milk please.

I am all done holiday shopping. Except, today I bought dreidels, three of them in a charming little box and discovered when I got it home that the little charming book that was supposed to be in there was gone. So YET AGAIN, for like, the umpteenth year in a row, we will have to call Poppa and ask him what the Hebrew letters are and what they mean and how the game is played because I am totally ADD and can never remember. Yes, I know, I could Google for this information, however, the call to Poppa is a yearly tradition (one that I tried to buck by getting a charming dreidel and book set, but FAILED) and I suppose we must carry through. If you see me in a mall or retail setting between now and the new year, please just shoot me, unless it's a yarn store in which case please do not shoot me, just assume it is my birthday and be appropriately celebratory.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Your sock yarn score sounds great! And enjoy the birthday yarn purchase anticipation. :)

Um, re: breaking out - I just turned 39, and it seems like things haven't been quite as bad facewise in the past 4 or 5 months, but still not what I, like you, expected from my skin as an adult. Sigh.

Z said...

I will send you something that you can print :)

Z said...

Okay, I give...email please :)

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

rainwood (at) gmail (dot) com works! *grin* thanks!