Monday, October 03, 2005

So, when I left the llama farmin', organic gardening commune back lo these many years ago, I kinda swore I was not going to eat commune food again. However... given what's going on with food prices in Southern CA, I'm super glad I honed my chops at creating cheap yet healthy eats. WOW are food prices starting to skyrocket. Tonight we feasted on fresly roasted pumpkin, brown rice and black beans. Confession: Underwhelming. The pumpkin, I mean. Beans and rice and cheese, always good, but, I need to work on my squash skills. The kids really liked it though. I'm loving the Farmers Markets here though. Organic, locally grown and at really good prices. I love that. I also love the diversity of the vendors, the amazing varieties of produce I find that's just not available in the regular markets. They have Honey Crisp apples, for instance! Much love there. I love my cheese man and the olive oil lady. The vinegar hottie (wow is he some serious eye candy). It's community. Walk the stands and everyone says hi, they know you there. It's one of those little things that I find to be quite precious. And now? Life-sustaining, because who can afford to shop at Ralphs???

I'm almost done with repeat #5 on the Diamond Fantasy scarf! SO excited!! Not gonna post any more pics till it's done and blocking, because, well... it's just the same as it was but a little bigger. One repeat left, then the corners and bind off. I'm really pleased with this project. I know my mom is going to love it, too. It's hard not to rush. I want it to be *done*! I know as lace shawls go, this isn't even technically a shawl, but wow. Endless. Purl. Rows. On. The. Back. And. They. Keep. Getting. Longer. *dies* I dunno though. I think I'll miss it when it's done.

No comments: