Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Oh of all the times for my digital camera to be fussy! See... a SP6 package arrived today and it came ALL THE WAY FROM ISRAEL!!! *poing* My mailman was very impressed. I was very impressed! I think I was probably more excited than the mailman, though, to be truthful. I think I may've even scared him a little when I squee'ed at him. The return mailing label? It is also written in Hebrew.

There is all manner of interesting stuff in there. I will take pictures when I get the camera working. There were red strings (real, actual ones)! Spice with the same name as my dance troupe! Postcards! A magic, handmade box with things in it of much shininess! And there was a funny sheep (the funny sheep came with funny sheep poo, actually, and a little roll of hay and also an Israeli flag...) and KitKat bars that have Hebrew writing on them! OMG. It is so very shiny. And allllll manner of Evil Eye and khamsa goodness which, anyone who knows me, knows I get very excited about.

Peektures soon! Thank you SEEKRUT PAL!!! You rock the socks, yo.

It seems to be somewhat symbolic, actually, the timing of this box. This week, my dad sent me the name and address of the Rabbi of my synagogue (the one that I grew up and went to shul at) and told me that she might be helpful about assuaging some of my Temple Anxiety and answer some of my questions so that I don't look like a total dork when I find a synagogue of my own here in LA to go to. A friend over on LJ was talking about wishing there were some kind of Ashkenazi For Dummies class that those of us who (for whatever reason) stopped practicing very young could go to, just to avoid this kind of agonizing not knowing. Not knowing the words, not knowing what people are doing, not knowing, period. And of course, my grandmother is dead so I can't bug her. Dad is being helpful though. And I'm sure the Rabbi will be even more so.

Maybe it's silly, but I have some red string tied around my wrist now and it feels like tying that one on kindof was symbolic of renewing ties to faith and the Jewish community. Like I said. The timing is just... uber cool.

2 comments:

Doozers Knit said...

Apparently, there's going to be a book out, called Jewitches, for those of us who are basically pagan, and Jewish, at the same time. I am looking forward to reading it.

Z said...

I hope this works out for you! Your secret pal sounds way cool :)