Saturday, October 01, 2005

The husband took me out for coffee this afternoon, as we found ourselves with an unexpectedly child-free couple of hours. Since I am feeling so decidedly bleh and hadn't really been out much this week, it seemed a nice low key thing to do. Took a huge bag of some nice hardcovers and trade paperbacks that I'd purged from our shelves down to Synergy on Overland for their lending library and the owner gave us free coffee!

While having latte, got about 12 rounds done on the basketweave sock. I'm just going to do a few rows of ribbing at the ankle, I think, instead of making it full length. I found 3 #0 dpns under the sofa today when I was cleaning, which means I don't have to go buy a new set, which means I can start working on Cam's Venice Beach Ice Cream Sock again. Thank goodness! I was beginning to panic about that one.

The whole point to this post was, Synergy serves Groundworks blends and beans and the owner and I had a long talk about Fair Trade. He's quite for it. He also likes Ric at Groundworks philosophies about beans, social consciousness and FT issues. I pointed him at Green LA Girl's blog for further musings on the FT scene and told him about Monkey and Sons.

Have y'all discovered Delocator yet? Go there. Enter your zip. It will find every Starbucks within 5 miles of you and then, every single independently owned, non corporate coffee house that is near those Starbucks, giving you the opportunity to support local coffee in your community. Great if you are traveling, too, as it has listings for coffeehouses all over the US and Canada. Good way to find good *local* coffee instead of being forced to rely on Starbucks for your jones.

4 comments:

Atla said...

That's depressing. The Delocater found nothing at all for me.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Oh bummer!

Well you can enter coffeehouses on the site. So if there is anything you *do* know about that is non starbucks in your area, take a minute and put it into their database. It's a relatively new service, I believe, and very much needs folks in various communities to a. know about it and b. get the information to the website.

The LA zip I entered had about 1/3 more coffeehouses added this time, than it did the last time I went. So I think it's really always growing.

Siel said...

Will have to check out this Synergy place. And thanks for the props :)

Siel said...

BTW -- All for delocating too, but perhaps you might check out if the Starbucks near you is honest? Take the Starbucks Challenge...