Wednesday, September 07, 2005

quiz thinger for SP6

We have to come up with $130 for So-chan's photography class this week. I didn't realize it was *SO* expensive and she needs all these supplies and things. She's kind of freaking out and offering to transfer into a "free" class, but I told her no, we'd find the money. She shouldn't have to worry about it. She's a good photographer. I want her to enjoy the class.

Money is the root of all evil. I want enough of it to have options and the choice to do what I want some of the time, to get my family out of LA if I have to, to weather a period of unemployment, but beyond that, I really don't care about stuff or status or money or being rich. I just want the *choices* that come with having a certain amount of money. The choice to pay for my kid's photography class and not worry about blowing off the phone bill. I want that so that my kid won't feel bad about taking a class. No kid should feel guilty for having something nice. Ever.

At the same time, it could be so much worse. We have food, a roof, a home, extras. We are incredibly lucky. We do have more options and choices than so many people. It's just all relative, I guess. Embrace relativity. Absolutes are a pain in the ass.

I am absolutely in a knitting slump, though. And I absolutely hate spiders. One just crawled near me. Ick.

******************************

This is a quiz thinger I'm supposed to fill out for SP6. So I'm filling it out and realizing what an utterly spoiled brat I am, really.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? I am *such* a yarn snob, at least in that I'm all, like, natural fiber girl. I am ALL ABOUT cheap natural fiber yarn though. As long as it feels good. Like, Knit Picks? OMG. Manna for yarn snobs on a budget.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?I spin, yes. On a drop spindle, mostly I've spun a whole lot of Blue Faced Leicester, some merino and corriedale. I LOVED spinning the merino. I'd like to try some silk blends sometime and maybe dying my own top.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) Nut allergies. Severe ones. And, I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I hate a lot of perfumes in general. I'm kinda into BPAL, but not conventional scents.

4. How long have you been knitting? Since last October/November. I taught myself.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yep. But more in the sense of "hey go find this on half.com" as far as Amazon goes.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) I'm a LUSH whore. I love the Avobath bombs.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
I'm laughing as I take this quiz. I'm so picky. Yes I have a sweet tooth but I only indulge in non ivory coast, fair trade, organic chocolate. Like, Scharffen Berger or Dagoba bars. So expensive. So only sold at Whole Foods. So not something I buy too often.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? crazy quilting, stamping, paper arts, mosaic, pottery, beading... I'm kinda nutty with the crafts like that. I have huge bins of Craft Crap that I shlep whenever we move. It always comes in handy at some point, so I don't throw that stuff out. You never know when you might need it.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Goth, industrial, bluegrass, celtic. I have very eclectic tastes.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?I like blues. Any blues, all blues, combinations of blues, reds, russet, purples. I like rich, dark, saturated colors. Like, Lorna's Laces "Mixed Berries" or "Irving Park". I think "rich" and "saturated" are the best words to describe my color preferences.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Puff and Bear, two elderly male cats, and Tiki, one energetic greyhound/jack russell mix puppy. All pound rescues.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) To be a decent, compassionate person, to not be an asshole, to make the world a little better where I can and maybe also graduate from college with a master's degree in Library Science in my lifetime. Which, seeing as how I'm still in junior college, going part time, and am already 36, I am pushing it on the "in my lifetime" thing.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Hands down, Lorna's Laces yarns. I adore them.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?acrylic. I really dislike acrylic yarns. I don't like how they feel in my hands.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Lace (though I've been doing a lot of it in worsted on larger needles instead of with fiddly lace yarns) and socks (okay, those I prefer fiddly sock yarn and teensy needles). I'm actually in a bit of a knitting slump. Lotta WIPs, no inspiration to create anything new and fabulous.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Socks. Hands down, I love knitting socks. I have a sortof "master pattern" that I've adapted from various things on the web. Usually I'll take a stitch pattern and adapt it so that my basic sock style will still work rather than knit 100% according to someone's exact pattern.

17. What are you knitting right now?one pair of swap socks in Lorna's Laces, baby socks in Cascade Fixation, a lace scarf in Lorna's Laces and a hat in Lamb's Pride Bulky.

18. What do you think about ponchos? Just say no. Friends don't let friends wear ponchos. Friends don't KNIT friends ponchos.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?That depends on the project entirely. I use both.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?God, here I go again with the snob. I only use bamboo or wood. I hate plastic and metal. Wood or bamboo feels better. I have ONE pair of #9 Lantern Moon straights and adore them, they were a gift from my mommy.

21. Are you a sock knitter?See #15-17

22. How did you learn to knit?Self taught out of books and the internet and lurking on lists and in communities.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?Last December I started an Aran shawl. It weathered a trip across the country and a bad breakup. It's been languishing ever since.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?Totoro, foxes, kitsune.

25. What is your favorite holiday?Thanksgiving, actually. It's the one I spend with my mom. My mom is my favorite holiday.

26. Is there anything that you collect?Hmmm. Blue Willow ware. "Love and Kisses" or "Blue Toast and Marmalade" from Emma Bridgeware pottery. Mostly, though, I want to keep the *stuff* to a minimum. I have some cherished pieces, just a few.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?None. I love Interweave Knits and Spin Off, but not every issue flips my wagon, so I only buy the ones I like at my LYS.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?Dying? No. I've got so many free patterns bookmarked and books I haven't knit out of yet, already? I mean, there's books on my wishlist that I'd love to have, but I'm okay that I don't have them. I would not give up a latte, etc.

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??Not really. Well, the Ribbi Cardi from Chicknits I sorta covet, have been known to hop over to that URL and fog up the glass and get prints on the window so to speak. It is teh cute, non?

1 comment:

Siel said...

I see you on the spider and raise you with a vicious ant invasion. We're not sure where they're coming from. It's not about food, either -- they've invaded one of the bathrooms, and no one eats in there, let alone stores food --

But I don't get this knitting slump thing -- I mean, knitting's my fallback procrastination tool. If all else fails, I knit. Explain thyself, Will Pillage for Yarn --