Monday, September 26, 2005

I made dumplings to go with my chicken soup. My question is, why can I make perfectly light and fluffy scratch dumplings every single time, yet my matzoh balls always fall to the bottom like lead shot? Lead shot, I tell you. I know there's a trick to it? But my grandma never taught me before she died and my mom doesn't know her secret for that OR for Turkey Ring. Go figure.

Generations of Meyerowitz and Hoffenberg women spin, no doubt, at my persistent inability to make light fluffy matzoh balls to go in my soup. At any rate, garlicky, lemony, fresh chicken soup is a sure cure for the ick. Jewish Penicillin, indeed. At least I got that part right.

Atla: Re lace pattern. Most emphatically yes!!! I would love it. I haven't got a printer though - is it possible to get an email copy or a hard copy? If that's too much of a pain in the arse, no worries. It was incredibly generous of you to offer and I would be delighted to accept. I've got some KSH that I was wanting to use up in something scarfy, so this looks ideal. Thank you!

rainwood at gmail dot com if you want to drop me an email :-)

If you ever go back to it, I do recommend her stuff in general for the novice lace knitter as the construction makes logical sense and the directions are better than some of the charted only patterns I've seen. I can NOT knit from a chart yet. It makes me cry. So I personally really like that she's got both charts and abbreviations written out. Have you ever read any of Girl From Auntie's stuff or seen her patterns? I hear those are really good too just, generally in terms of being extremely well written.

3 comments:

Doozers Knit said...

See, sometimes my matzoh balls turn out fluffy. I don't know why.

I hate hate hate fluffy matzoh balls. I like the ones that turn out like lead shotputs, because then you know you've eaten a MATZOH BALL.

(And, in case you missed it, I'm bayushi.)

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

I had NO idea that was you!!!

You are my chicken soup hero. If you ever visit, I'll make you lead sho, er, matzoh ball.

Atla said...

I've seen some of Girl From Auntie's stuff.. at least photos. I've never actually seen one of her patterns.

As for crying (and I realize that you probably weren't serious when you said this, but it brought it to mind anyway), hubby ordered Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears for me today. Have you ever looked through it?