Saturday, September 24, 2005

How about, "No, I am not a media whore."

I'm sorry Mr. Whedon. You know I love your body of work. I miss my dead gay shows. I miss Angel, I miss Buffy The Vampire Slayer and I miss Firefly. I cannot WAIT to see Serenity. Missing the premiere was heartbreaking. But for all of that, I will not whore out this space for the media company publicizing Serenity.

The nice folks at Grace Hill Media have offered a number of spots to bloggers at a series of press screenings for the film over the next few days, before the official release of the film. I signed up for the screening in Burbank, fully expecting to go and then review the film here in my blog (no spoilers, of course). Imagine my surprise when I received an email from Grace Hill Media yesterday that said the following:

"Congratulations! You are one of the lucky bloggers to be chosen and confirmed for the screening of SERENITY for the time, date and the number of guests that you have requested. Please note, this confirmation DOES NOT guarantee you a seat at the screening.

To significantly increase your chances of getting into the screening, you MUST do the following:

You MUST include the film’s synopsis on your blog (synopsis below) and you MUST link your blog to the SERENITY website (which has the trailer and production notes) http://www.serenitymovie.com and featured artwork. After you have screened the film, please discuss it on your blog. Please provide us the links to all of your blog posts on SERENITY at serenity@gracehillmedia.com"


And then there was some logistical stuff about where to go and wait and what to do, etc., There was also a blurb, written by Universal's marketing dept. to be included in my blog and a handy link to studio provided artwork to put up. And then they want ME to take the time to mail all this to THEM. I'm sorry, but are there not trained studio gibbons to surf the web all day and make sure the little bloggers are behaving?

How about... NO! Fei hua.

The show was cancelled because some idiots at FOX got all worried about marketing and ratings and couldn't get their heads out of their asses long enough to keep it on the air and take a risk. It was independent media, bloggers and the fans who created enough buzz about the series for TWO YEARS which got this movie picked up by Universal and made. It was not because some suit in a marketing office was telling us what to write. I'd rather gen houzi bi diushi than put up a studio approved blurb here.

Do not dictate to me what I put up here in this space. Especially don't dictate that and then tell me that I might not get into the movie after I went to all the trouble to be a good little patsy, and sat for an hour in rush hour traffic to get to Burbank on a school night. No. See, and also? No.

This whole show, the series and movie is about independence and about thinking for yourself in the face of a larger whole that would like you to not think at all. Like Mal Reynolds, I aim to misbehave. I also do not kid myself for one second that it makes no nevermind, that it matters one whit or that anyone even cares. But I care.

So Grace Hill Media, ben tiansheng de yi dui rou, you take this here shiny, her name's Vera and shove her up your Gucci clad pigu, dong ma? I won't be participating in the press screening. Joss, honey, fang xin, I'll still be at the 10am matinee on Friday. And I'll probably even see the movie twice, even if I am matinee girl. All about supporting you in your endeavors.

No comments: