Wednesday, September 21, 2005

diamond fantasy i

here is the start of the Diamond Fantasy scarf, pinned out a bit. Perfect for a pirate's mother, yarrrrr! Loving the way the very subtle variegation is working with this lace and don't think it will detract from the pattern one bit.

Today is the 9th wedding anniversary of the Yarnpirate and that fire spinning, long haired, kilt wearing Scotsman. A decade ago, we met, 9 years ago, we married and it's been interesting (yes in the Chinese sense at times) and wonderful and growthful ever since. In the years since we said our vows, we've figured out what those vows really meant, like *really*. Not in theory, but really. We've learned that "till death do us part" sometimes really does mean "Even though right now in this moment I am very sulky and I think YOU SUCK, I will not leave, even though leaving would be easier, because I made a promise and even though in this moment you're making me nuts, I love you enough to keep it." and we're still here and this pirate is very, very glad of it. And grateful because she could not imagine a better partner, or a better father to those two kids that he took on as part of the bargain.

Now if only I could get him to figure out that spinning fire in a great kilt often equates to setting the back of the kilt on fire, we'd be all good. Though it must be said that you haven't lived until you've seen a 6'4" guy in 9 yards of plaid squeal like a little girl and sit down suddenly and start bouncing up and down to get the fire out, because his bits just got toasty.

I digress.

Tonight's anniversary dinner is the 2 for 1 special over at Hurry Curry, and we're bringing the kids. We started this thing as a family and that's how we like to celebrate it!

3 comments:

Atla said...

"don't think it will detract from the pattern one bit." I laughed aloud when I read this, knowing that this might be directed to a certain opinionated blog reader, who has realized that, in her first two comments, she has made herself out to be quite the troll, when in reality she admires the blog writer quite a bit, but apologizes for any offense or motive-questioning she may have caused. (Yes, my apology is in 3rd person. My husband claims that I never admit to doing anything wrong, so consider yerself lucky.)

Seriously, though, I think it's looking wonderful and you are absolutely right with the variegation.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

no no! not at all! Actually your point about variegated yarn and lace was well taken and I'm rethinking the cashmere - I'm gonna swatch to see if it's a mess in BO or if it works okay. I liked the Tuscany colorway in Lorna's Laces, but it was really autumnal and that worked with the leaves. If it had been pinks and oranges? No way!

This Mountain Colors colorway is very understated. I do think a really crazy yarn with a *lot* of color shifts would screw up the pattern, whereas this yarn almost plays it up and improves it.

I'm on the lookout for something similarly subtle for the Lotus Blossom shawl that I'm knitting next. See, I *like* variations in color as I think that gives it some depth, but for lace, subtle seems to be key.

SO it was a really good point and I'm glad you made it. :-)

Cathy said...

This may be a really stupid question, but how does one spin fire? I've spun wool and other fibers before....