Saturday, September 10, 2005

FEMA knew what to do in the event of a massive hurricane hitting NOLA. Because last July, they did a whole test run and then posted what they'd need to do and what would happen in the event of a hurricane. Posted the results ON THEIR WEBSITE. And what they cited was scary, including masses of dead bodies, nasty water, broken levees, starving people dropping dead of dehydration and the need for aid. So when they tell you via FOX News, "Well gosh, we just didn't know." now you'll know better.

This is not much of a knitting blog lately, is it? I'm sorry. It's just that I'm really pissed off.

Here, I will assuage your ire with yarn AND a puppy.
Tiki plies BFS

Extra dark BFL plied with a creamy natural BFL extra fine both from Copper Moose (my favorite fiber vendor and still in business despite the really sad loss of their wife and mommy this last month). I need to work on my plying. I'm still not sure when it's overplied v. underplied and it's not the greatest, but it's really delicious despite me and I think this is gonna knit up into a fab chunky winter cap for someone. Right now I'm just focusing on making decent singles and learning to ply - perfection is a long way off.

The Upton Tea Quarterly arrived today. I have yearning. I'm running low on a lot of tea (there's been yarn to buy) and so many pleasurable moments have been spent perusing the catalog. I've narrowed it down to about 4 choices plus about twenty samples. Since I'm in a very "you can have this OR this but not both" place financially, I have to narrow the tea choices down to two tins and only ten samples. Difficulties abound. Woe. I lay my hand across my forehead and droop onto the chaise lounge, gathering Goth Points as I mope.

4 comments:

littlehedgehog said...

I didn't know that about copper moose that's awful! Just got some wonderful fiber from them this week. That Rose Quartz merino. It's wonderful. I'm so sorry to read about that.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

They had a little boy, he is only about two. His mama is gone. It was an accident with a horse that killed her, iirc. Very sad. A lot of friends and family are helping them out though, both with the business and personally, so they're not totally alone while they deal with this loss. Not that you ever feel anything but alone when it comes to something like this, you know?

Siel said...

I didn't know you were a tea lover! If you're gonna order via mail anyway, may I suggest fair trade? I didn't see any on the Upton Tea site, but the Global Exchange store has quite a few -- And they look yummy! Can't say I've tried them though...

Toni said...

Check out Adagio Teas, too. And if you sign up for Ebates you'll get 8% back (and there's a lot of other places that do cash back through them, too).

I love Adagio Teas.