Thursday, August 04, 2005

You know, on the flip side of what I wrote....

My work allows me to be somewhat flexible in when I do things. If I want to leave the dishes or not do the laundry till 7 oclock at night, I can. I can sit, surf the net and knit or read a book for a while during the day if I like because my kids are old enough to leave me alone for a while. Or I can take a nap. I don't, btw, I spend a good deal of the day working around the house or schooling or whatever. But my point is, it's on my terms for the most part. I am not tied exclusively to someone else's schedule - while I must be mindful of the schedules of my family, there's nobody standing over me telling me I must do anything now, ever. There are a lot of things in my day that I am damn thankful for and I prefer this infinitely to a 9-5. I don't have to put up with a lot of the bullshit that my husband does in the course of his day. It doesn't mean that the bullshit I have to cope with is any less stinky, it's just different and preferable to me in general.

I do what I love, every day. I should be clear. I'm grateful that I get to do it. I'm grateful I have a partner who supports that, even if sometimes his support does not take the exact form I would prefer.

I just wish that society in general valued it more. It seems to be a pendulum that swings between SaHMs being undervalued for not "having a job" and working mums being denigrated for working outside the home. Whether feminist or a conservative, most people who aren't in the situation have got an opinion about it and are eager to share. Working moms feel like they can't win, stay at home moms feel like they can't win either.

I wish we could all win... That's all.

On a purely knitterly note? I have named the socks. They are Cam's Venice Beach Ice Cream Socks. Now they are official and beautiful and I am zipping along happily and about to turn the heel on the first one. Woo! Go me!

No comments: