Sunday, June 26, 2005

I suck so hard at lace it's not even funny. Three more cast ons, failed attempts, yarn vomit wads... I'm beginning to think maybe soft halo-ey alpaca is not the best choice for my first lace project. I may break out larger needles and possibly DK or sport weight yarn to try Branching Out, and save the laceweight for a time when I'm a little better at this. I've got some easily frogged stuff in the stash that's sport weight, I think maybe I'll give that a go.

The eldest daughter has picked up her knitting needles again, and a book and has taught herself to purl. She is now freestyling a very nice diagonal rib scarf that she designed herself, out of some Artyarns handpainted merino that we got on sale at A Mano last weekend. Very pretty. I'm awfully proud of her, both for teaching herself skills she wants to learn and then coming to me for verification that it's 'right', and also for the creative freestyling. She gets that from my side of the family...

1 comment:

Cambria W said...

I don't know how old your daughter is...but that's WAY impressive! I've been knitting for a couple years, mostly self taught and I've never-ever worked without a pattern or tried to just wing-it. Good for her! It's nice to see that there are knitters out in Cali. I'm from the bay area originally and I didn't discover this till moving to Rhode Island.