Thursday, May 12, 2005

I'm not saying that the words "too much yarn" have ever even crossed my mind, because that would be blasphemy. I'm not saying that I've ever thought that. For the record, I will NEVER think that. I'm not a particularly religious person, but that's crossing a line, even for me. However, I will admit that there were a few moments today when I was cleaning out my yarn stash, where I said something like "my that's a lot of yarn." or "holy cannoli batman, pink and purple chenille? WTF was I thinking?" Well actually, I know what I was thinking. I was thinking I'd knit a poncho for Em and matching ponchos for her American girl dolls, but I never did get around to it and now she's out of her pink and purple phase. I'm not sure why I thought I needed all that Fun Fur. Burgundy and mint green eyelash yarn? Need I say more? I don't know what I was thinking when I got the chartreuse green monster fur yarn, either. I really don't. Was I planning on knitting a Muppet? The motivation is lost to me now. I'm keeping them, of course, because I'm sure I'll use them one day *cough* but I gotta admit, they made me wonder.

Lately, I have been rethinking my yarn acquisition strategies. I will edge into a dangerous grey area and say that it is entirely possible to have too much of the wrong kinds of yarn. One cannot, however, have too much wool or fancy wool blends. Ever. EVER. Or silk, cashmere, mohair or alpaca. Or, for that matter, summer weight cotton in fabulous colors. The same holds true for handspun, hand painted artisan yarns. Trust me. Never. Too. Much. Yeah, okay fine. I admit it, I'm a yarn snob. I'm also a bagel snob and a coffee snob. Deal with it. I have good taste. Life is too short to drink bad coffee, eat lousy bagels or knit with cheap ass, ugly yarn. Phwoar.

So now the stash is sorted. It's tidy. It only took me nearly an hour. I have everything now organized in clear plastic bags in plastic containers so I can look in and easily see what I've got. Yes, it is rather organized by fiber and then color and then weight but hey, we all have our fun, right? Were I being wise, I'd say that "I think I do not need to buy any more yarn for a while, but rather, find projects that will diminish my yarn stash and/or finish projects already in planning stages for which I have purchased yarn. THEN I may purchase more yarn." I dunno if I can do it.

My. That was a LOT of yarn.

No comments: