The author Peg Kerr (of The Wild Swans fame) had this fabulous idea for holiday gifts for children.
1. Give them something to read. This is fairly self explanatory.
2. Give them something to love. A new doll, a toy, something to cuddle like a blanket or something that might encourage snuggling with Mom and Dad.
3. Give them something to make them artistic. Musical instruments, art supplies, sewing, craft or hobby items.
4. Give them something to make them athletic. Bike, scooter, skates, skateboard, trip to the beach, nature walk books, scavenger hunt games, etc.
5. Give them something to do with a parent. Do something with them.
These things don't have to be huge and expensive. You can combine them - such as, a book that encourages them to cuddle with you at bedtime or a craft they can do with you, etc. They can be small. But really? That's what it all boils down to. Those are five great things to give to a child, and can help you keep the Christmas madness to a reasonable level.
I thought I'd pass it on.